Thursday, January 28, 2010

Leftover Soup
















Our supper was leftover soup. Not because it was leftover from the day before but because it consisted of leftovers from the night before. Because of a little pre-planning the stew was savory and full of flavor. Especially comforting on a cold winter's night.

The evening before we had stew, we ate pork roast, corn, green salad, and garlic bread. No potatoes were present on purpose so my husband wouldn't ask, "Where's the gravy?" That way I could use the wonderful juices from the roast for a tomatoey stew. Had I made gravy I still could of used it to make a pot pie or even a stew but that wasn't what I had imagined for the next night's meal.
So in preparation I put more water in the roasting pan than usual, about an inch and a quarter. Then topped the meat with slices of onion and a sprinkling of beef boulion. This was so that I would have lots of flavorful broth for my stew the next day.

A good stew always starts with good quality ingredients and there is nothing like home grown pork and vegetables to intensify the flavors. I began my stew with cubing the leftover pork roast, tossed it into a saucepan with the water that the pork roast baked in the night before and then began adding vegetables.
Their was corn left over from the night before.
The chopped carrots were from last summer's garden that I had stored in the frigerator,
The onion I chopped came from the store since mine from the garden were used up a couple weeks ago.
Then I added a pint jar of home-canned chopped tomatoes..






Last, I went to my freezer and pulled out a mixed blend of rice. Some I'd gotten from a health food grocery store and since I rarely have the oportunity to buy at a organic grocers, I buy enough to last for quite some time and freeze it. This rice blend is whole and not refined so it would go bad fairly quickly on my cupboard shelves so into the freezer it goes.
To all this I added a little beef boulion, salt and pepper and let the stew simmer until the rice and carrots were done.
The toast you see with the stew is a loaf of artisan bread that we love. When it begins to taste just a bit stale, which for me is after a few days - I'm real picky, then I make French toast or Texas toast with it. It's the best kind of bread for French toast and it is devine sliced thick, slathered with butter (goat butter if you like) and sprinkled with garlic salt and then toasted in the oven on broil. If you want a crispier toast, slice it thin like I did to have with the stew. I love this bread sliced thick and thin. I've been intending to make some croutons with this bread but there's never any left.
So the next time you're making a roast, think leftovers and plan for a savory stew for the next evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment