Thursday, November 10, 2011

Just Call Me Match Maker


Don't know if all goats do this but mine do. When the urge is upon them, the girls stare at me in panic, the whites of their eyes showing and bellar, " http://easylivingthehardway.blogspot.com/2009/11/is-your-goat-in-heat.html
Matchmaker, Matchmaker,
Make me a match,
Find me a find,
catch me a catch
Matchmaker, Matchmaker
Look through your book,
And make me a perfect match"

Nope, they don't say anything to the buck, it's me they turn to. I think it is because when in the past the urge has come on, it's me that has taken them by the collar and led them to Prince Charming. I hold the solution.

The doelings don't act in this manner but given a year or two and their trained for life. This is Megan's first time and I'm having a hard time telling when she comes in. I'll figure it out though and train her to tell me. It makes it so much easier. You can count with accurancy the days of gestation on a particuliar doe and after a kidding or two, you have an excellent idea within a day or two when she will kid.   

And though I've had been checking for a discharge and other signs, nothing but the bellaring appeared with Chicory in October. 

I've found Nubians are much harder than Saanens to tell when they are in Estreus. For me, none of this putting the doe in the pen and letting nature take its course. I want does that breed once and become pregnant. Those that take multiple breedings are sold.

Last year when I we had the three grandkids living with us and the two doelings were not very tame. I put a buck that was unfamilar to them in their pen a week before I knew they would come into heat. That was so they would not be scared of him and allow him to do his job. 

Some day, I want to AI and I don't want to waste semen. A fancy buck has a fancy price and I want does that settle with kid on the first time.

In the past, I often had only one opportunity to breed a doe. One time a really nice buck of our neighbors was being sold and the owners were picking him up in an hour. I had a couple does come into Estreus. Slam bam thank you mam as they say and sure enough, both girls were pregnant. 

And it isn't only the does you will deal with but most likely her offspring also as she passes on good fertility or bad. 

If you don't know when your does come in Estreus, this blog I wrote in 2009 might help you. My Saanens were perfect for picture taking and there was no doubt when they came in.  

Now to figure out Megan. I want to have her bred in December.

No comments:

Post a Comment