Blooms of Summer

Blooms of Summer

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Sourdough Pumpkin Muffins

Surfing the web for new ways to use sourdough, I came upon this blog and recipe for Pumpkin Nut Sourdough Muffins.  You will note that I titled my muffins a bit differently.
Yes, I changed the recipe a touch and hence the change in title. Really, I didn't alter it too much. I just thought with a little tweak, this recipe could fit my goal for lowering phytic acids in my whole grains. 

My sourdough was bubbly and ready to go. Below is the recipe from the site.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Pumpkin Nut Sourdough Muffin

In one bowl, thoroughly combine the following ingredients with a whisk:

1 c. active sourdough starter
2 c. pumpkin puree (This is about the small 15 oz. can)
1/4 c. applesauce
1/4 c. olive oil
3 eggs
1/2 c. honey
1/2 c. brown sugar

In a separate bowl, whisk together:

1 1/2 c. all purpose flour
1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour (you could use all whole wheat, but the cost is in texture and the
1 t. salt overpowering of any pumpkin flavor)
1 t. baking soda
2 t. baking powder
1 1/2 to 2 T. cinnamon

Add the dry ingredients to the moist ones and mix together until just combined.

Stir in 1 1/2 c. chopped walnuts.

Spoon into greased muffin tins, filling about 3/4 of the way full.
Allow to sit on the counter for about 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Bake for 20-25 minutes until the centers are done. Cool completely.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I had a little Khorasan wheat by Kamut left over from the whole wheat bread that didn't turn out the other day sitting in the refrigerator. I put 1 cup of sourdough, 1 1/4 cup of wheat flour, and 1/4 cup of olive oil in a bowl and covered it.

The next morning, I mixed the dry ingredients in one bowl minus the 1/4 cup more of whole wheat that the recipe called for. I didn't have anymore and didn't want to grind just 1/4 cup. If I needed more flour, I thought I'd use white.

In the sourdough, I added the eggs, applesauce, pumpkin, sugar and stirred.

Folding in the dry ingredients into the wet, I wondered if the mixture would be too moist so I tested by making a few muffins.

It worked. I didn't need the extra wheat flour after all. And so it is when you are working with fresh ingredients. You have to adjust for the visibilities. The pumpkin was froze and from the garden. I spent some time draining it because it was really soggy. The applesauce from a home canned jar in the basement was just right. But then I don't know what store applesauce it like and I'm rather partial to mine.

How are the muffins? Good. They aren't a real sweet muffin like I'm use to and the texture is a bit more chewy but they are healthy and tasty enough to add to my family sourdough recipe notebook. I would recommend the wait time to eat them. She's right.

Pop on over to her site and give the recipe a try. But don't forget to tell me what you think. Meanwhile, I'm headed out to deliver Girl Scout cookies.

Next week, I'll tell you how my next whole grain experiment goes. This sprouted Khorasan is in the dehydrator and I'm going to attempt to successfully adapt my already altered oatmeal cake recipe, making it healthier.

2 comments:

  1. Always looking for something new to try with my sourdough. I hate throwing any of it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As Kirk and I thought about this recipe and how it turned out. We've come to the conclusion, we'd like it a bit sweeter, hence, we will add a touch more honey to the next batch, cut the recipe in half because it is too much for the two of us, add some cloves,as it needs more spice. And even maybe do a cream cheese mixed with a touch of sugar in the center. Never cooked cream cheese in a muffin. Wonder how it turns out. Have you?

    ReplyDelete