Friday, November 30, 2012

The Five C's of Survival Plus Three


Remember I told you I felt we had been running around a bit like a chicken with it's head cut off, well maybe I didn't exactly describe it like that but a friend, Dawn, got me thinking when she asked me what I thought were the basics we needed to prepare. I realized we had lots of skills but the question is, are they enough to survive the turbulent days ahead? It looks like the government isn't very serious about the fiscal cliff which includes the congress and difinitely not the President. And Mother Nature isn't exactly in a good mood either.

So with all this uncertainty the question that is looming in my head is will one area we lack in be our undoing? And even more pertenent is, what are those areas as we've just done things we wanted to learn and thought were important. Looking at the five C's of survival, I'm was seeing some huge gaps as I studied our preparedness.

I've since run into people who are down right panicked as they have just noticed the stack of dominos poised to fall.

This all spawned the beginning of watching the Ray Mears videos, for us recently, which are excellent, but no matter what every  survialist I checked, they all had basically the same five C's. though their choices of equipment were a bit different depending on location and personal taste. For instance, the prairie versus the mountain, the winter versus the jungle, they all need a few alterations to meet the needs of the terrain.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The five C's of survival are:
 Cutting device
Combustion device
Cordage
Container
Cover


^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That is great for the bare minimum servival and with this and skills you can obtain the other needs to survive but I'd rather not be in that situation if I can help it. I'll admit it. I like a little comfort. So what if I took the five C's and expounded on them to include 10 basic survival areas and several prepareness levels? Now that is something I could live with, literally, and fairly comfortably.  I won't say that 10 will be the final number but for now, I'm thinking on adding these basics to the above five.
. Food
. Water
. Cleaning
. Medical
. Financial

Then within these 10 basics are a list I'm working on of sub headings. The five C's are for survival in a short period of time.

How about a five C's survival fanny pack. Then a more comfortable 72 hour backpack with side duffle bags of even more comfort. Survivalist state crossing water sometimes means a loss of a backpack so they keep pockets full of even more basics. Hence, the many pocketed pants. I'm thinking if I bug out at that level I've got stock. They can carry some of the weight. I'm not leaving them behind and my back with every other disc bulging isn't carrying my entire survival pack.

So that leads me to needing a BUG OUT plan. Haven't you watched M.A.S.H?)  I don't have one but I'd better work on one though where we'd Bug Out to is the question. Where do you go when you live in the middle of nowhere? Alright, smarties, somewhere. There is the chance of fire like Colorado, Utah and other states suffered last year. Lots of Bugs Outs then so though in most disasters we'd stay put, we need to plan on leaving too.

You can take the 72-hour packs with you or just stay at home and they will get you by for a short time. The government recommends a 72 - hour kit and three weeks of food in your home. So I'm not so far off even though I think that isn't nearly enough. I'm sure the government thinks so too but they also have to think of the minimum they can talk the population into.

Now think of the storm, Sandy, people were without electric power, grocery store, and a gas station etc. That's level two where you need to sustain yourselves for a few weeks. Then level three to a more early 1930's out on the farm where they made there own cheese, butter, bread, etc. which would help you through a longer financial or supply shortage time frame. This includes a no shortage, no big national disaster but a personal disaster, loss of a job, medical emergency sapping your fund etc.

How different the storm Sandy would have been if a large number of people had taken responsibility for themselves before hand instead of felt they needed a nanny state where the government made things all better. Government help out some, okay, provide generators for everyone and takes food door to door, don't get rediculous. Come on, where's personal responsibility? Yes, we need to be mindful of the diabled and older residence in our neighborhoods, not the government. Remember, if the government has the power to give all, it also has the power to take all. The government redistributes, it does not make money.

Keep in mind that FEMA personally told me, when a tornado struck our town some years back, that it isn't a matter of IF but WHEN each of us will be in a disaster situation and that most likely each of us will be in more than one in our lifetime. Things are escalating and that might just be three or more by the time some of us leave this world.  FEMA was referring to natural disaster but cancer is also a disaster and becoming disabled is too so if you expound on disaster, you've upped the odds.

We can't control the government or governments oceans away which pull us to and fro, since we are all conected, but we can control us. What we do, what we know, and how much cushion we give ourselves from the storms. It will determine if it is a bump in the road or if it stops us in our tracks.

So I'm going to take each of these 10 topics and plan, learn, and prepare. You can come along for the ride. Bring your own horse because mine won't carry two. She bucks. That is the truth and it is a great simile for those who know about survival for they know that one can not take care of many. So don't think others will take you in just because you exist. They often turned others away in the pioneer days and someday they might again lest they not survive.

Kirk and I don't have enough supplies for our own imediate family, let alone any others. I don't care if they do volunteer free labor. It isn't a matter of want, it is a basic fact that we just don't have it. Besides free unskilled labor is like calling a three year old cleaning house, help. If you don't know what weeds to pull in my garden, I don't want you weeding it if it is the difference between us eating for the year or starving. It will be a extremely difficult decision. 

Instead of babbling on forever today about the need I'm going to start and I emphasize the word start with discussing CUT. Mainly because it seems to be one of the more simpler ones.

I just CUT my husband's hair this morning. I know, you were expecting knife and we'll get to that. To me, cut also means hair on a 1930's self-sufficient level where you are trying to save money. We've save thousands since I've been cutting the family hair since the kids were very small. Now I often do the grand kids. A basic, good quality pair of hair scissors is a must. Get the kind that can be sharpened. Not the ones that you buy replacement blades for - added expense. A good book on how to is also a help but don't think that will get you by completely. Cowlicks and individual hair traits have a way of throwing in their share of obstacles. Give me experience any day over just book learning. I want a surgeon who's done surgery, not one who's just read the books. Granted you are not going to die over a hair cut, though teenager might think they will.  

Now to learn how to sharpen scissor myself. That is a needed skill level. We've thought about it today and Kirk's belt grinders aren't the only sharpening tools we should have. We need some basic sharpening stones and some knowledge along with them.

CUT also means sewing scissor. Something completely different than hair ones. For one thing, they are much larger. Also buy a pair that can be sharpened. I've got two pair needing just that.
Now to CUT as in knives. I love nice kitchen knives and use them all the time so a good basic set is a must. But going back to even more basics is knives for the survival kit. Kirk and I discussed this, he being the expert. You don't need something this fancy but even this will do the job nicely if need be.

Your choice of knife is very personal since we've met people doing the same job and wanted completely different knives for the task from quite large to quite small. Is one of them wrong? No, just has a different size of hand or does things a bit differently. For our area, prairie and off in the distance Rocky Mountains, we've decided on a medium pocket knife for cleaning fish and small tasks such as cutting rope. Then a fixed blade for larger survival tasks. http://www.rexroatknives.com/gallery/ The style of pocket knife we carry now is different so I expect our choices for our survival kits will be different too.

Since we are not rich and use knives in our daily lives, we have decided that we will need to gather them before leaving. Knives aren't the only thing we realize so we need a Bug Out list where we have a pre-planned number of  things to gather before leaving. And may I emphasize, I don't mean look for. I mean gather from pre-determined storing locations. Like presently where we have flashlights and headlamps in set locations. Do they always stay there? Sometimes they wonder off but not for long since we use them regularly too.

Since this is getting long, I'm going to talk about CUT as in ax or hatchet another time along with our plans for a log splitter. Splitter on our list comes under CUT but firewood under COMBUSTION.

Maybe not everything will fit your needs but I bet you'll learn a thing or two. And I'm not going to talk about this on every blog. It will be a additional conversation. Have a great day and get to thinking about your surval basics. Maybe you'll add one to mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment