Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Learning Each Day Sometimes The Hard Way

What a dummy. I thought that I was so smart that I could tell the difference between buttermilk and sour cream in the jars after they cultured so I didn't label the jars before hand. Yeah, well, for the first time the buttermilk did not come out kind of slimy in texture. They both came out looking like sour cream. Why oh why do I do this?


And as for the tortillas, well I made them with ghee this time and oh how I'm missing my lard. They were good but just not nearly as yummy. I asked the butcher if he ever had any left over pig fat and he said no. They have a tendency to keep any extra and freeze it for fall to mix with deer and elk meat. Now I've got to find someone who is raising their own hogs and ask for the leaf lard. The butcher would then have to give it to them if asked. The store lard has me questioning what dangers might be hidden inside since hogs in commercial settings are fed all kinds of things. I'd rather avoid buying it. 

Matilda why oh why didn't you have any fat. I guess I'm not the only one though because the butcher said the Meisheon pigs he's done didn't have much fat or meat either. It is hardly a consolation that I didn't mess up in the way I raised her because I still don't have any lard for my freezer. And this was the year I was going to make goat milk soap too and do far more cooking with lard. Far more doesn't take much since I probably use it once a year.

I also made banana bread with ghee instead of shortening. It was good but you could taste the difference. That is all of us except our son. could tell His taste buds aren't as sensitive. I was pleased because it was one more move to eliminate shortening from our diet and find substitutes that work well in each of my shortening recipes. I have gotten rid of most of my shortening recipes but there are a few that are too good and have lingered. The ghee was cold from the refrigerator and I'm guessing this is why I had to add a slight bit more milk to the recipe to get the consistency to come out right.
************************************************************8
I saw on a facebook page last weekend a reference to an experiment done by a gal who tested which developed mold first, store milk or fresh? She left them both in canning jars on the kitchen counter top. It wasn't a real surprise to me because when you think about it, you pasteurize your milk or cream to kill many of the bacteria in order to create a void in which the new culture can fill without interference and develop the bacteria you desire.

I'm not sure why fresh milk doesn't taste as good after a few days but I'm guessing it is the cream that is effected because if I separate my milk it lasts longer in the refrigerator.  It also has a sugary taste. Store milk makes me leary as it lasts far too long in the fridge without changing and it looks blue not white like home milk. 

 In my wanderings into the Internet this is what I discovered.
pasteurized milk typically has a refrigerated shelf life of two to three weeks, whereas ultra-pasteurized milk can last much longer, sometimes two to three months
Did you know that Organic milk is typically ultra-pasteurized?

Q&A: Does organic milk last longer?
Oct 17, 2008 10:10 AM
Why does the organic milk I buy last so much longer than regular milk? —J.H., Holden, Mass.
Organic milk often undergoes "ultrapasteurization," in which the milk is heated to a very hot 280° F (137.8° C) for 2 seconds, rather than the 161° F (71.7° C) for 15 seconds used in conventional pasteurization. By killing more bacteria, the extra heat extends the milk's expiration date. It's not clear whether organic-milk producers ultrapasteurize as an additional safeguard against bacteria, since organic cows consume no antibiotics, or simply to extend shelf life. Properly refrigerated, ultrapasteurized milk has a shelf life of 40 to 60 days unopened, compared with 15 to 17 days for milk pasteurized the regular way. But you should consume all milk within 7 to 10 days after opening.
Consumer Report
 

I don't care if store bought milk is organic or not. Milk that can last that long has got to be bad for you. So I looked into it a bit further and found this.
Pasteurized milk serves as a good medium for pathogenic bacterial growth. Some pathogenic bacteria such as Listeria monocytogenes, which causes Listeriosis, can survive the pasteurization process. The FDA states that there is a yearly 2.6% incidence rate for Salmonellae and a 6.5% incidence rate for Listeria monocytogenes due to pasteurized dairy products. Pasteurized milk also contains large amounts of dead bacteria that should not be consumed as their metabolites act as toxins. Whereas raw milk has a built-in safety system of beneficial bacteria such as Lactobacilli species, immunoglobulins, leukocytes, enzymes such as lactoperoxidase and lactoferrin, as well as numerous other compounds which work synergistically to inhibit pathogenic microbes. These compounds are all inactivated or destroyed by pasteurization. Organic Pastures Dairy, the leading supplier of raw milk in California, did a challenge test and found that their raw milk does not support the growth of salmonella, E. Coli 0157:H7 or Listeria monocytogenes.In January 1974, Consumer Reports stated that 44% of 125 tested samples of pasteurized milk violated safety regulations. Consumer Reports asserted that pasteurization is an excuse for the sale of dirty milk, that it may be used to mask low quality milk and that it promotes carelessness and discourages efforts to produce clean milk. The same can be said today of conventionally produced milk. Pasteurization does not solve the problem of raw contaminated milk, but instead allows this problem to continue to exist. It allows large companies that produce pasteurized dairy products to get away with milk made from unhealthy cows raised in unsanitary, factory-farm conditions. Grass-fed raw milk from small farmers will actually decrease the number of food-borne illnesses due to dairy and it will be easier to pinpoint the source of the contamination (should it occur) unlike large dairy plants that get their milk from numerous farms. Raw, grass-fed milk is a nutrient-dense food that is healthy for most people to consume since cows raised on pasture produce healthier milk than cows from confined animal feeding operations. The main reason why raw milk from small farms is vilified is simple – it’s to protect the interests of the dairy industry.

It has become that if you don't do it yourself it probably isn't real safe. That is why we are working so hard to get this place ready to sell and in the mean time learning a thing or two. Don't use your fingers to spread concrete into the cracks in your driveway, they will end up with open sores on the tips, red, and tender. And if you don't normally use chemical sprays and are completely ignorant about them like me, you might be surprised to find out that the packaging lies. One application does not kill weeds. It only makes a few look a bit wimpy and most of the others will look as right as rain. I'm hoping two doses will. We are resisting using Round Up because it is manufactured by Monosato. Do any of you have a good brand that works. We have a thistle outbreak that multiplied greatly from last year to this. Far more than simply pulling will do with all the other tasks waiting to be done. So I'm being practical and spraying, something I've not done in the 32 years we've lived here. But we have to get things done to sell and the chances are the next owners are going to be more disturbed by the thistle than the chemicals used. Sad isn't it?

I'm also working on a quilt for my mom when I'm taking some rest time during the day. My first of this kind. I'll take pictures and show you but right now I've got to get some sleep because my hubby has tomorrow off and it is put the pedal to the medal day once more. Not that today wasn't one of those days too.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment