Friday, September 27, 2013

Mayo's And Back Again

Wow, a flying trip. We packed for a weeks stay, since that is the average time spent at Mayo's, and came home with the bulk unused. Yes, it was a whip in and a whip out trip to Rochester, MN. Not that I'm complaining because the shorter the trip the less time we were away from home and the less restaurant food we ate, (oh how it messes with the digestive system) and the fewer motel costs we incurred, and the fewer the medical costs. That meant we spent from early early morning until evening driving Wednesday to Rochester. The we turned around Thursday afternoon and headed home settling in Mitchell, SD for the night.

This gave us time the next morning before hitting the road to browse the shelves in Cabela's and look at the mounts. I saw a muskox. I want a muskox. I know, I have yaks but no they are not related. Wouldn't three muskox be just the coolest thing? I wouldn't say no if someone offered me three or one for free but I'm not sure they would survive in our area. Yaks have to have a higher elevation as heat is their enemy so muskoxs I'd guess would be the same. Maybe they would be okay as long as they have shade.

Sorry, a little diversion but you know me  I'm diverted easily. The same thing happened in Rochester as I gaped this way and that at the buildings. I love architecture and we put in over four miles walking back and forth to Mayo's from our motel.

Everyone I talked to said the trip across South Dakota was straight and boring. Straight yes, but boring?  Don't know what their problem was for they have barns that don't look like our barns. Why the jut out on one end near the top? Then there was the differing number of trees around the farm houses. The wind blew like a banshee all the way to MN so why did some have a dense grove all around them and others just a scant defense line on two sides? Did the wind have a tendency to blow more in one area than another? Was soil conditions and water availability the reason for fewer trees? Maybe all the above as even some of the fields in Minnesota had tree lines around one side of them. Nope, we weren't in Wyoming anymore, especially in our county where not even the Russian Olive trees grow unaided.

Many of the crops were different. Okay, crops in general is a new thing for this part of Wyoming as there is a little hay put up and on a really good year a few oats but that's it. I was raised in Wyoming's farm country where sugar beets, dried beans, corn, hay, oats, and barley grew. But the plants we stared at over the fence from the rest area sure wasn't beans. Was it lentils? Then there was corn baled in round bales like our hay. Had to look that one up when I got home. This university site was informative. http://liferaydemo.unl.edu/web/saline/isbalingcornstalksworthit It helps farmers decided whether baling corn stalks is worth the loss of nutrients to the soil if they are removed. I definitely don't know enough to be a farmer.

So if you are calling the drive across South Dakota on I-90 boring, I don't understand. Try traveling across the bottom of Wyoming on the interstate and you'll learn what boring is.

Anyway, the doctor's present opinion is that Kirk will be fine. His problem is mild and if anything is done it will be just a little removal of scar tissue. The last test results weren't in so we shall learn the verdict later. Excellent news and we can move on to remodeling the bathroom etc. We don't have to move our animals until next summer and so that will give us a little more time to make changes.

Now if I can get the painters to show up I'll be thrilled. They didn't show up on Monday and now the ground is covered with snow. We need to have a discussion. So much to do so little time but it is obvious that the Lord is indeed mindful of us. I hope I can figure out just what he has in mind for us. Change is definitely in the wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment