Wednesday, April 30, 2014

New Garbage System For The New Home

This is my garbage system. The furthest can to the right is for paper. That includes the outer covers on food packaging, envelopes and the like. We burn anything cardboard or paper like in the stove in the garage. This helps heat the garage when Kirk works out there though it does stay at around 48 to 52 without aid. Cardboard boxes are excluded as they go to the recycle trailers in the nearby towns we visit. We also take the covers off of the magazines which we get very few. The part that has our name and personal information to burn and the rest goes to the recycle trailers. The bin for these is at the other house. It seems like even though there is very little there anymore we keep saying we have got to bring ...... next time.

I guess that shows us that we use all the things we have or almost all of them. As we begin organizing and shelving things in the garage and barn we do indeed plan on getting rid of a few things. We have a large pile of things that were up in the rafters of the garage at the other house that we will dump but I disagree with the, "if you don't use it in six months get rid of it" theory. I haven't used my taper candle molds for a while but I'm not throwing them away. One of the gentleman that helped us with moving one day insisted that if you don't use it in this time period it needs tossed. He wouldn't hear of the fact that I thought that wasn't true. That would mean our large meat saw would go bye bye since we don't use it but every other to every third year. I'd sure hate to cut up a beef without it.  And our large meat grinder doesn't get used in that time period but it is used every fall if not more. And our chain saws that haven't seen much use at the other house will get a real work out here. We have some trees in the yard that need cut down. Kirks folks have some large trees that are being cut down and need cut up. We will be cutting our own firewood to heat our house now. The old saw needs worked on and it will enter a shop soon but I'm really, really glad we have them. What about my soap making containers? They aren't used evey year either. Self-sufficiency simply requires quite a bit of equipment unless you are buff and young. Then maybe you might want to cut up 10 cords of wood for a stove with an ax - naw, probably not.

The middle garbage can is for recyclables of plastic and metal cans. The garbage on the far left is for miscellaneous things which I'd like to cut down on the amount of. My brother-in-law's mom takes her garbage to the dump once a year. She is the queen of recycling. If she didn't live so terribly far away I'd sure like to visit her place and I'm sure I could learn a large amount from this frugal lady.

At the other house I did not had fancy garbage cans. Just a plastic one under the sink but since there are three and they are right out there where you can see them from the living room as well as taking up a fair amount of space in the kitchen, I thought I'd spend the extra bucks and get something that looked nicer. I have to say I'm really enjoying the foot pedal part that opens the lid. Never had one of those before.

Step two of my garbage system is another part of our recycling. These buckets go under the kitchen sink. The bucket on the left is for the compost area of our garden. It has had lots of lemon rinds lately. I saw the larger pvc pipe idea on Pintrest our daughter showed me of where you drill lots of holes in a pipe and place it with the ends upright. The bottom of the pipe in the ground so you can dump kitchen garbage into the hole in the top and the worms can freely crawl in and out. May have to try that as I do have a pipe that would work well and it would take up little space. For now everything is just getting dumped in a heap until it quits snowing several times a week. Old man winter is really hanging on. We can't complain though because at least it isn't flooding or tornados raging around us. The floods will come later as our large snow pack in the mountains thaws. We are on high ground and will be fine but there is a creek just below us that may cause a few homes some troubles. As for those in the southern parts of the country my heart and prayers go out to them.

The right bucket is for the chickens and holds any scrap pieces of bread, vegetables or fruit I think they might enjoy. The hens peck like crazy on the Plexiglas door of the coop when they see a plastic bucket in my hand and Noisy Nancy nearly runs me over when I open the door.

My grumbly point in all this garbage system is the meat and fat scraps. My cat won't eat them. Cat food or nothing for him. Since he was demoted to living in the barn after moving, I thought I'd try once more to get him to eat meat scraps. He turned his nose up at the idea. He did start right away to catch mice in the barn so maybe he only wants his meat raw and fresh. He always was a good hunter.

Sir Reginald Stewart was not a happy cat for several weeks at being shunned to the barn and wouldn't have anything to do with me. Why he didn't take it out on Kirk is beyond me. It was a joint decision but as always I'm the meany. It was the cat's fault though. He refused to use the kitty litter in the garage and went in the corners instead. The box was tucked just barely under the back step in a lovely private little area where he first hung out after arriving in his new home. His other big crime was that he hid in the house or garage full of boxes and the like when it was time to leave and I couldn't find him. Being gone for long hours sometimes, it just didn't work. Hence, he is now a yard and barn cat.

I hate to tell him but I've grown rather fond of not having an animal in the house. So what do I do with my meat and fat scraps? Not that there are a lot of them but I'm trying to think of how to have less garbage in the far left can. The less garbage we have the less I have to haul and pay the garbage dump. That means less gas used also. We haven't decided to burn our garbage in a metal can in the yard yet. We are still thinking on that matter. We might ask the local ranchers what they do. We always burned garbage on the ranch, the one my dad managed and the one Kirk and I lived on for a year after we were first married but we shall see. Our son said they make garbage bags that decompose and I'm going to have to look into that. Hope they aren't too expensive to be a viable option.

Those of you will far more experience than I, what am I missing? Where can I limit my garbage imprint? I need lots of help with a compost pile also as I've not been at all serious before. Just dump haphazardly in a pile, then dump on the garden in the fall.

We have so.... much to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment