Friday, August 8, 2014

OUCH!!!

Hubby has an boo, boo. He smashed his finger badly. I'd show it to you but it would not make a funny photo like the donkey one of me. No, this one would make some look away. As for me,  I'm likely to say ew.....w let me see when confronted by such things. I'm morbid that way. The damage is bad enough that one of these days Kirk will loose the nail and maybe it won't grow back. I'm not sure that where he smashed it, that it might not have damaged the growth plate. Do you call it a growth plate. Anyway, the thingy where the nail originates. How about that? I'm sure he did it so he could get out of fencing. LOL

Anyway, we needed to treat the wound and since his friend gave him some root of something, the something we will have to find out what it is, we did as he said and made a poultice. What Kirk thought the piece of dried up root was makes no sense when you coupled the fact that his friend reportedly grew it. The something that he thought he said is not possible to grow here. Thoroughly confused? I know it was tough.

The point is this friend's Native American grandmother taught him the use of it. He keeps some at work and at home for just such an emergency as a smashed finger or worse. We were told to make a poultice and cover the wound with it. Not real sure how you make a poultice but what sprung into our minds was to use Neosporin as the base. The Neosporin is a jell. The finely chopped root mixed in nicely and spread well, staying in place.

But first we soaked Kirk's finger in a bowl of pine needle tea with the companionship of all his fingers, easier that way I guess. Pine needle tea because after all we are trying to work on our natural medicine plan. The one where we use things that grow here or we can grow here.

I've been photographing the wild flowers this summer and looking up what some of them are in hopes of finding medicinal plants for our natural flower garden we plan to put in next summer. I figure if it grows native, it will need less water and care. The only problem is I'll have no idea what the medicinal plant looks like before they blossoms. The garden may take several years.

A few plants and seeds I want to add that aren't native. Calendula flowers are one of them. They volunteered, reseeding themselves, every year at the old house after the initial planting. For now, I'm just study things out. So far I'm not seeing the medicinal plants being eaten by the deer, another bonus.

I'm also going to add some things that the bees particularly love like bee balm. I have a photo of some I found along the road but I'm still looking for it. Alas, I'm having trouble finding the photo. Computer issues. Natives, bee loving, and a few just pretties I like will all mix to make this flower garden.

I have been paying attention to what plants the honey bees tend to and what ones the bumble bees like. I do hope bee balm is in the honey bee list as alas, there are no honey bees where the plants were for me to observe. Another goal is to fill the yard with food for the bees. That is why I'm keeping a list of what they visit and when so I can work on keeping them busy most of the summer months.

Oh dear, I did get way off track. I'd best get back to the original story. We've made pine needle tea before at the old place. It was winter and the needles from a blue spruce made a green colored tea. We drank it for it's vitamin C properties and as a survival experiment. Granted I'd made the mixture too strong but whoa!, Nothing I'd like to drink on a regular basis. Definitely tasted like pine needles. If you are interested in giving it a try be sure to look up pine needle teas as there are two kinds of pine trees that are poisonous.The two bad kinds are not naturally in Wyoming. That is why they don't come to mind as I put the names in the don't need category of my brain.

The tree I used this time looked to be a blue spruce also but the tea turned out a rosey peach color - very pretty. Not sure if it is the time of year of use that changed the color or if I'm mistaken on what kind of tree it is. I'm going to try another pine tree in the yard tomorrow. Will it be green? The purpose for the pine needle tea is not the high vitamin C's but the anti-bacterial property in them.

I'll let you know what the root ends up being. I'm hoping indeed that his friend grows it and we can get a start. Always looking for things that grow well in our new location.

Do you have a medicinal garden?

No comments:

Post a Comment