Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Bone Broth

 
What in the world is this strange woman up to now? I can hear you  so don't bother to whisper. My feelings are not hurt. I'm strange and loving every minute of it. This is sanctioned adventure for me since adrenaline rushes are not allowed. My supply is too short so no bungee jumping or roller coaster rides.
 
This is obviously not water. It is bone broth. My Naturopathic doctor turned me on to the idea. Since my body uses cortisol, a.k.a. adrenaline at a rate previously unknown to man which forces me to swallow it 2 to 3 times a day to keep going, a large stress is put on my calcium stores. Besides my beloved goat milk which I drink daily to avoid osteoporosis, a major problem in the family, another good source is this yummy bone broth that is chock full of calcium.
 
To think I was letting some yum dilly-i-shush goodies go to waste by throwing away the bones.  Yes, I saved the broth and froze it when I cooked meat in a crockpot or oven but this is concentrated and hence takes up less room in the freezer and is far better for me or shall I say us? Those bones hold a wealth of calcium and minerals too. One of the sources of bone broth for us is all the turkeys, chickens, ham, beef roast I cook up for sandwiches. I now pack lunches for four most days of the week. That is a lot of home-made bread and meat for sandwiches. I won't buy lunchmeat unless I happen to be desperate, every 5 to 10 years or so. I can't get past all the yuck, bad for you's, in the stuff. Besides it tastes just like it is, junk meat compressed with lots of chemicals. With my yak and wild meat roasts that don't have bone in them, I still save the broth by freezing it and adding it to my beef roast bone broth while cooking it down.  
 
 The bone and small pieces of meat that cling to the bone are left in the crockpot, covered with water, and cooked on high while I am around to watch it and on low when I am not. The bone is completely clean within 12 to 18 hours. The meat has slipped off and will loose much of its flavor if left in very long after it has fallen off. I often slip part of the meat out and some of the broth to make soup. Cooking for a long time not only leaches out the calcium and minerals from the bone but leaves a rich savory flavor. 
 
 My naturopathic doctor turned me on the method. Not the how but a push to include it in my do-it-yourself plan. It made sense since I use quite a bit of bouillon. Between bouillon often not even being made from meat and the MSG in many brands, one has to be quite picky in what they choose.
 
Making your own makes sense in a waste not want not approach. I have been playing with storage methods. Above is my first attempt at using ice cube trays to divide the concentrated broth. I figure this will work well with things I want a little more flavor but not a lot of liquid, hence a small amount. 
I have also canned some. This is chicken or is it turkey. I think turkey and the one on the right is chicken. The darker the color the more water has been cooked off and concentrated it is. On the far left is either turkey or chicken canned to make sandwiches. When I canned meat last winter was when I made the most bone broth. Time for canning meat is coming up again. I wait until winter when running the pressure canner helps heat the house.

Next I want to try cooking bone broth slowly at the end on lower heat to the point where it is so... concentrated that I can dehydrate it. Not read about that but it still makes me wonder if I can't do it. The manufactured do so there has to be a home-made version.

Do any of you make bone broth?

No comments:

Post a Comment