Sunday, August 28, 2016

Ellie, A Good Feeling


Studying quite a bit again on various subjects though the posts may not show it. The grandkids are our priority and working on this place. The planning alone is very time consuming as we work and rework plans. One is a rabbit lean-to and another is a cow/calf / milking shed. We don't want to rebuild so it is the same mentality that measure twice and cut once comes from. Only with us it is think, rethink, rethink, and rethink again as we figure in convenience, snow drifting, and finances. Please be patient and keep checking back.
You know about Ellie's arrival but as I've been researching I have discovered why I had such a good feeling about buying her. I love those whisperings deep inside that say, "This is a good thing! The same feeling we had when we bought Sam at the local livestock sales ring. Farmers and ranchers kept their bidding silent as they whispered, "He won't make it." Unfortunately, I don't always listen or decipher just what the feelings I'm having mean. I know that if I keep perfecting the process though, I will be far more successful in my future decisions even though the facts may not always be right then at my fingertips. 

What a lug Sam has turned out to be and a big sweetheart. To remind you, he had severe Navel Disease and was really crippled up with the infection with it eventually traveling through all his joints. Yes, his back legs are a bit stiff and he has a swinging from side to side gate and if you look carefully you can still see the effects of the disease in his joints especially along his spine. We fully expect him to make finish weight or close to it. When his joints have had enough of carrying his weight, we will process him into the freezer.

For now the kids fawn all over him. A couple nights ago all four kids were loving on him while he just laid there thoroughly enjoying the attention. If the kids are not here he expects me to fill in. The day before I filled his four water barrels, he bawled; filled his hay feeder, he bawled; gave him beef pellets, he bawled; went and love on him and he shut up.

 He was a good investment and Ellie will work out fine too. 

I've studied goat's milk versus cow's milk but I have not studied cow's milk as far as the differences between breeds. Of course cow's milk, today's cow's milk, is not the milk of yesteryear. Cow's produce more milk or rather more water today, lots more. Though the volume per cow increased, the nutrients did not hold the same per gallon. Not even close. I would guess that less milk was more satisfying than a larger amount from today. The change in production is about money once again. There have been genetic changes and mutations along this journey through time also. From what I'm studying, it doesn't look like it was a good thing.

Ellie is from two very, very old breeds which have a A2 history. I will write in detail about that later. I have to say I have a good feeling about A2 milk. The studies so far make perfect sense and are in harmony with my experiences. Goats produce A2 milk just so you know. We will have to wait until science has declared the research conclusive on A1 versus A2 milk but I know who already knows the outcome, the Lord of course. As for myself,  I'm going A2 and listening to that still small voice whether it is speaking to just my health or to the worlds, we shall see. So far it has become evident that for some individuals the difference between A1 and A2 milk is less of a problem than for others. I am sure that is why some who ask the Lord will get a strong feeling about A2 milk and others not .

Besides A2 milk, Ellie is Brown Swiss and they have smaller fat globules - easier to digest. Don't know if they are as small as goat's but smaller none the less than for instance the Holstein breed. Brown Swiss's milk is also homogenized more like goats. The fat stays suspended in the milk longer without separating out. Brown Swiss milk is ideal for cheese making in part because of the protein levels. I would love to get into cheese making. Freshly made Monterey Jack cheese, which is a cow product, is so.... yummy. A friend of my dad's makes it from his Jersey cows.

I have had for a very long time a strong impression not to buy low fat dairy products. You can't just take fat out of milk and not change more than the fat content. If you freeze a food, can a food, or dry a food, its chemistry changes. Right now I am not making as many dairy products as I would like so this hit home.

 "Scientists found that people who consumed full-fat dairy products had as much as a 46% lower risk of developing diabetes over the course of 15 years compared with those who drank skim milk and ate low-fat yogurt and low-fat cheese. And if that didn't convince you, another study—this one of more than 18,000 middle-age women, all part of the Women's Health Study—found that those who ate more high-fat dairy had an 8% lower chance of becoming obese over time compared to those who ate less."

I guess once more that science caught up with the whisperings of the spirit. Just wish I listened more and then I could quit making so many mistakes. It is a practice kind of thing and hopefully I become far more proficient as time goes on. 

I'm reading about Normade and Brown Swiss since that is Ellie and it has me really excited. I only knew I had a good feeling when I purchased her and now I know better why. Ellie is such a sweet dairy calf and that too is a trait of the Brown Swiss. We are halter breaking and she kept sticking her head in the halter when I took it off and put it on the other night. What an adventure we shall have. 

As for Hesston, I had that blank empty feeling about him. It means not bad but not really good either. He would do for meat but I should have not ignored the hints sent from above. Something a whole lot better was on its way if I had just been patient and waiting on the Lord.  His name is Bull Winkle. Now we are going to just hope we don't loose too much money on Hesston and break fairly even when we sell. I always want to knock myself upside the head when I don't listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment