Tuesday, March 21, 2017

BPA in Canned Food




I've shared what I've learned about plastics. Now I'm going to tell you the other criminal lurking in your kitchen cupboards ----- cans. They are bad guys too for they contain BPA in high levels.
This is one of a cazillion articles that talks about BPA in cans.
http://www.ewg.org/research/bisphenol


EWG's tests found:
  • Of all foods tested, chicken soup, infant formula, and ravioli had BPA levels of highest concern. Just one to three servings of foods with these concentrations could expose a woman or child to BPA at levels that caused serious adverse effects in animal tests.
  • For 1 in 10 cans of all food tested, and 1 in 3 cans of infant formula, a single serving contained enough BPA to expose a woman or infant to BPA levels more than 200 times the government's traditional safe level of exposure for industrial chemicals. The government typically mandates a 1,000- to 3,000-fold margin of safety between human exposures and levels found to harm lab animals, but these servings contained levels of BPA less than 5 times lower than doses that harmed lab animals.
 BPA testing in canned food. We contracted with a national analytical laboratory to test 97 cans of food we purchased in March 2006 in three major, chain supermarkets in Atlanta, Georgia; Oakland, California; and Clinton, Connecticut. The lab tested 30 brands of food altogether, 27 national brands and 3 store brands. Among the foods we tested are 20 of the 40 canned foods most commonly consumed by women of childbearing age (NHANES, 2002), including soda, canned tuna, peaches, pineapples, green beans, corn, and tomato and chicken noodle soups. We also tested canned infant formula. The lab detected BPA in fifty-seven percent of all cans.







BPA is a heavily produced industrial compound that has been detected in more than 2,000 people worldwide, including more than 95 percent of 400 people in the United States. More than 100 peer-reviewed studies have found BPA to be toxic at low doses, some similar to those found in people, yet not a single regulatory agency has updated safety standards to reflect this low-dose toxicity. FDA estimates that 17% of the U.S. diet comprises canned food; they last examined BPA exposures from food in 1996 but failed to set a safety standard.




























There are some companies who are switching to non BPA liners but whether they are using BPS instead is another question - some do. I do know that the acids in foods eat the lining of cans so besides BPA, you are eating metal. In my twenties a research doctor told me I was allergic to the lining of cans and to avoid them when possible. Can't remember exactly what it was in the lining that he said to avoid but I've  slowly been doing just that. The hold outs are pineapple and olives. I don't use much of those two items but I keep a few on hand. I also buy oysters in the can on occasion to make oyster soup and Devil Ham for my husbands breakfast sandwich. Neither item is used often enough to probably cause us any real lasting harm. And I am trying to produce more and more of what we eat. My goal is for that to include Devil Ham and mustard so watch in the future to see how that works out.


I do know that the more acidic the contents the more of the can that is eaten which puts tomatoes up there in the high no, no level.  So what can one do. Foods in glass jars is a much better choice and more and more companies are giving consumers this option.  So when you see grapefruit or tomatoes in a jar, think about purchasing them instead. Now that I say that, do tomatoes come in a jar? I don't go down that isle of the store since I've started canning tomato sauce, stewed tomatoes, salsa and the like myself so I'm rather in the dark.


As I was researching cans I happened upon a site http://www.davidsuzuki.org/blogs/queen-of-green/2013/05/12-ways-to-avoid-hidden-bpa/ He wrote of there being BPA in aluminum cans, and in thermal paper receipts such as in cinema tickets, airline tickets, and receipts at stores. There is even BPA in some dental sealants and composites. It seems like we just can't avoid the stuff. Maybe we can't completely but we can decrease dramatically the amount of exposure. Maybe someday the government will ban the stuff but don't hold your breath, America is usually the last in line to do so.


Meanwhile, join me, I am changing the plastics in my kitchen, avoiding microwaving them and freezing them which increases the release of BPA. I am decreasing the amount of cans we use. I'm not throwing up my hands and saying "Everything is bad for us! I'm just going to ignore it.", which I'm sure is the reason for cancer being so high 1 in 3 women, and 1 in 2 men is just because of the fact people are burying their heads in the sand. Disease and cancer are caused from immune systems being over loaded and not fed proper nutrition. So if you want to be next in line be my guest but as for me and my house, we will work harder to preserve our health.


Our daughter is dealing with cancer and it isn't pretty. She  is only 34 and the next youngest person a large cancer center has seen  with her type of cancer is 47. Cancer is hitting people at a younger and younger age. Babies are even being born with it. Will you be next?




 

No comments:

Post a Comment