Wednesday, May 10, 2017

New Arrivals

 What a crazy time of year. So much to do and the kid's school is wrapping up with concerts and activities galore. I'm crazy busy fencing, building new structures, and trying to slip in some gardening as well. Changes are huge on our list this spring and summer. Problems have come to a head and either we make change or quit. So the first huge change is the goats.
Meet Connie. That is what I'm going to call her. Her professional name is Comedy but I like Connie. She is built like a tank. Broad as a barn and stout. She has her ADGA Permanent Champion award. You can see why. Look at that top line. Almost table top but what won her the most points is her udder. Wish I could show it full BUT Connie is emotional right now. Her production dropped from 11 pounds to 4.5 from the trip from Carpenter, Wyoming to here. From birth to 5 years old she lived with her adopted human mom and now everything has change. Her previous mom is upset and she is upset. It was a rather emotional parting. BUT if you have a show herd, you have to let go and Connie is at the end of her show career.

Everything has changed for this poor girl. The other Nubian does have been amicable. There was for the first few hours the, 'Who is the alpha doe in the group?' but nothing rough. I won't have a biddy in my herd. They now remain separated. No antagonism but just no interest. I really feel for Connie, I can't help it she is so... sweet and I try to love on her as much as possible letting her wonder around with me as I work outside. I am confident she will enjoy her new home as my animals never wonder off. They would if it wasn't a great place to live, so it is not unusual to see the whole motly crew of them let out to wonder the place while I'm outside doing my thing.  


The little buck, Bravo, and the doeling, Commitment, love the place already. They have jumped in weight since arriving and we are quite attached to Bravo. He is a hoot. He does not take any guff off of anyone including the full sized does and yet is the sweetest thing - totally confident in himself. A great trait for a buck. That and all the goats like him. Every time we fill the large wheelbarrow full of hay, he leaps on top for a ride. I realize that will have to soon stop but it is so funny and you can't get mad at him as he holds still and just moves his head gazing at the scenery.

As for Commitment on the right. She is a bit iffy. At her previous owners, an inexperienced friend helped give shots and hit a nerve causing her left back leg to lose most of its use. She can't use it unless you Popsicle stick brace it. The yellow on her leg is to treat a sore. She came pretty rough and not sure if she will stay. I think I'll take her to the vet when I have Ellie de-horned once again. They are growing back. I want to see if he thinks Commitment will come out of it. Great blood lines in this little doe and she is a another sweetheart. When Karen called and asked me if I would be interested in Comedy, I asked her to pick the foundation of my new Saanen herd. This is the line up. 

I knew I had missed my Saanens but I'm amazed how content I feel since they arrived. I am just meant to be a Saanen owner. It is funny because my husband said the same thing. He is much more content with them and I catch him out loving on Connie. We have great Nubians but they are just more demanding by nature. Yet they are less demanding than the norm. When they become vocal it is a 'deal with me right now' deep throated beller. The Saanens have a quieter stacato ma, minus the insistence. 

Why did I ever have Nubians? They are suppose to give more cream and that is why I changed. What I got was a lot less milk and lots of drama queens. Keep in mind it does not take much to be a drama queen in my book. I thought I could handle it and hung in there for 10 years. Alas, what I found was that Nubians don't give nearly the amount of milk and I can't help but wonder if the increased amount of milk with Saanens equates to more cream over all. If I can get up to double the amount of milk with one Saanen and have one set of hooves to trim versus two; one goat instead of to feed is less time and money; one goat versus two to pay for to house and bed down versus the expense of two then why am I raising Nubians? I crave calm, not excitement as my life has too much drama in it already. What took me so long to realize this?

My first clue should have been that I've never grew really attached to any of our Nubians. Keep in mind I have some really sweet Nubians. Others comment all the time about how wonderful the goats are that they buy from us. A vet said she had never met such nice personalities for goats. She was not fond of goats until ours. It is just a clash of temperament between the Nubians and us.
We have found our favorite animals are all cold weather breeds.  We love our Swedish ducks. 




 We love our Brown Swiss/Normandy heifer.
We love Saanens and I'm getting more thrill over these three new goats than I have had in ten years of raising Nubians excluding a doe named Jujubee which we did not have very long. All our cold weather breeds are all laid back, quiet, and don't complain about the weather or much of anything. 


We live in a quiet, low population area, and so this comes as no great surprise. I would guess that is in part why there are so many different breed of animals. Some match different locations and owners far more than others. You could say some breeds are better at one thing or another but in the end it most often boils down to personality matches between owner and animal in choices. Have you noticed the same thing? Do certain breeds trip your trigger far more than others?

No comments:

Post a Comment