Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Canned Milk

As promised, this is the canning instructions from the Dairy Goat Journal magazine that I use to subscribed to. How many years ago that was I don't remember but the paper stuck in the notebook is yellowed and brittle. That should give you a clue.

Mary Jane Toth was the author and her column was about cooking with goat milk.

I make no claims as to the safety of the following methods for I have no knowledge of the science of canning and I'm just passing along what I collected. I do know that I've used the pressure canned milk for probably twenty years but always in cooking. That would add a safety level. Because I pressure can milk every year, I've long since quit looking at the instructions and had forgotten that the paper included a water bath method.

The instructions are typed as they were written in the magazine.

By Mary Jane Toth
Pressure Canning Milk
Fill the clean jars with strained milk, leaving an inch space for expansion. Put on the lids and rings and tighten down gently. Place jars in pressure canner. Add water to a depth of 2-3 inches, put on pressure canner lid and tighten down. Heat until the pressure is at 15 pounds. adjust heat to keep it as close to 15 pounds as possible. Keep at this pressure for 10 minutes. It is important that the timing bit begin until the pressure has reached 15 pounds. after 10 minutes is up, turn off the heat, allow the pressure to go down before opening the canner. Carefully remove the hot jars of milk and set the jars on a towel or cloth. Allow to cool undisturbed for 24 hours before moving them to storage.

Hot Water Bath Canning (milk)
This is my preferred method of canning. Fill the clean jars with strained milk, leaving 1/2 in ch space. Put on the lids and rings, tighten gently. Place jars into a large kettle or canning kettle. Fill with hot water from the tap up to the necks of the jars. Cover and bring to a boil. Start timing as soon as the water begins to boil. Boil gently for one hour. After time is up carefully remove the hot jars of milk from the canner, set on a towel or cloth and allow to cool undisturbed for 24 hours before moving.

To those of you that wondered about my silence after your comments. Well, for two months my blogging site would not let me. I have to wonder? Did Bard's foot hitting the button on the computer's tower two different times while I was typing a new blog fix the problem? For it was right after that that I could once again comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment