Friday, November 18, 2011

Pumpkin Chicken Wormer

What, oh what, do you do with the pumpkin seeds as you prepare to make pumpkin pies for Thanksgiving? I haven't the time to do salted and roasted seed while I'm baking up a storm like today for our early feast tomorrow.  

Wasting them isn't an option around here so I give them to the chickens.

But first, I put them through the blender with some water to chop them up. The chickens eat them far better that way.

I leave the stringy insides of the pumpkin with the seeds.

Then I give these seeds and pumpkin shells to the chickens. The seeds have a coating on them that paralyzes tapeworms and round worms. Then they are flushed out of the chickens digestive system.

Other times I scramble older eggs and cook them with a hefty coating of garlic, another natural type of wormer. 
So if your cooking pumpkins next week for pumpkin pies, don't forget the chickens.  

No comments:

Post a Comment