Monday, September 10, 2012

Swedish Pancakes Yum!, Yum!

Looking for something new for breakfast, a grab and go kind of thing?  Try these Classic Swedish Pancakes.  I'm glad I did. Not just because my grandmother came from Sweden but I thought this was something my husband just might take to work and eat on his break in the morning. He's kind of picky. What he will eat at home isn't necessarily what he's willing to take to work.

 So with the variations for this recipe spoken for in Cuisine magazine, (one of two culinary ones I subscribe too, neither having advertising) I thought I could tweak this recipe a bit and come up with something suited for a lunch box style meal to heat in the microwave. You knew I was going to say I made changes. But honestly, I didn't change much, just breakfast sausage instead of little smokies and that isn't very much for me.

Classic Swedish Pancakes
Makes 8-10 pancakes
3 eggs separated
1 cup whole milk
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon coarse-grain mustard
1 Tablespoon grated onion
1 Tablespoon grated apple
1 cup of all purpose flour

Whisk egg yolks, milk, melted butter, sugar, and salt in a bowl and add flour just until combined.
Fold in beaten egg whites
Melt 1-2 teaspoons butter in a 10 inch skillet or medium heat. ( I used my crepe pan with oil instead of butter.)

Cook them like any other pancake.

Whoops, I forgot to tell you. I cooked sausage links in the oven on a broiler pan. My favorite way to cook bacon also and have on hand in the freezer. Why pay the extra cost of it from the store when it so easy to do yourself in the oven.
After each pancake had cooked, I roll it around a sausage link and tied it together with a sliver of fresh chives.

Kirk said they were good but needed a little something so tomorrow I'll get the sauce made to dip them in.

Melt:
1/2 cup apple jelly
1/4 cup coarse-grain mustard
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
salt to taste

There is also a variation of this pancake that excludes the onion, apple, and mustard and instead uses vanilla for it is a more of a dessert style. A good addition they recommend is poppy seeds. Yum, with cream cheese centers and berries on top crowned with a dollop of whip cream. "Now we're talking." as my three year old grand daughter would say.

With the weather starting to cool off. I'm in the mood for cooking. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment