Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Chap Stick

 
Chap stick, lip balm what do you call this stuff? If it comes in a tin or small jar is it called balm? I've a hunch that chap stick is probably a brand name that became a name know for all lip salves in a stick.
 
 
 I don't know the answer but does it really matter as long as it works great and this chapstick formula does.Though this salve, chapstick, balm or whatever works wonderful, I am going to try a few slight variations. I can't shut my brain down with what if I did this or that so this experiment isn't finished by any means. It has been put on hold though because I need to use up what I've made so far. I'm speeding up the process since I'm sharing it with family and in doing so, I'm asking that they give me imput. So far though, I'm pretty happy with the results. 
 
One thing I do know for sure is that the tins are going bye bye. I'm not using chapstick tubes either. Not that there is anything wrong with them but this cutey pie thinks 'yip sticks' or chapstick tubes are a great art form. Yup, she draws all over the television set, furniture, and windows with them like a big waxy, greasy, crayola.  That's why I ordered tins. To try and out smart her but the tins outsmarted me. The lid is hard to get off. Next time I'm going for the tiny jars with screw tops.
 Another great lesson I learned was that a fine Microplane grater might make great tiny whisps of bee's wax curls that melt really quickly but they also stick to the container you are grating them into really well.
Larger curls done by a bigger Microplane (That's a brand name but any grater will do. I just love how little space these graters take up and the versitile design despite loosing skin frequently to the thing because it is so.... sharp.) box  may melt slower but they don't make such a mess and the time difference isn't that great from small curls to large curls.

This lip salve was just as easy to make as the first lotion. In fact, it is very similar except you put in more wax. Simply put everything in a pint size canning jar set in a pot of two inches of water, heat on low, and stir occasionally. Then when it begins to cool, you pour into your containers. For chap sticks you use an eye dropper to add salve to your tubes.

Recipe:
1 Tablespoon beeswax
2 Tablespoons cocoa butter
Heat  in a pint jar set in a pot with two inches of water.

When melted and well stirred then turn off the heat under the pot and add:
2 Tablespoons coconut oil
20 drops of peppermint oil

Stir until well blended and your done. 

The peppermint oil is simply for taste. It doesn't have any important qualities so if you want to add cherry oil or orange oil or whatever other flavor you like, do it instead. 
 
This lip salve is a bit oilier than what you might be use to because it doesn't have as much wax in it but believe me, your lips will love you. It might just warrant a few extra kisses from that special someone just so he can feel those tender lips once more.  

No comments:

Post a Comment