Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Dump Queen's Oatmeal Cake


I would have cut another piece for a photo since this extremely moist cake doesn't come out of the pan as pretty as some do but then I was afraid I'd be tempted to eat them both. Since I photographed this at breakfast time that's what I had and I'm afraid I'm going to be wanting second breakfast. That's okay because remember this morning how I was telling you how healthful it was since it had oatmeal, molasses, eggs, butter, and wheat flour if you want and the frosting had pecans, eggs and oatmeal. Okay, you'd have to minus all the sugar to make it healthful but it has to be better for you than most cake desserts.


I'd better start giving you the recipe so you can be notty too and have oatmeal cake for breakfast.


After all I'm only on a break from working outside while I eat my healthful shrimp salad and a sliver or two of oatmeal cake. When the bread is finished baking, I'd better be about ready to start unloading the pickup. I cleaned the chicken coop and goat shed this morning and it needs shoveled on to the garden. My thyroid is starting to hurt a little so I'd better get going before my adrenals also start to complain. We know what happens then so after my work outside I'm not getting on the floor no matter what falls there. Kirk's not home to get me up. Place 1 cup of oatmeal in to a small mixing bowl and pour 1 1/2 cup of boiling water on top. Stir and let sit or is it set until just warm? All of a sudden I'm confused. I use the quick kind of oatmeal, not the old fashion but suit yourself.


In another medium sized mixing bowl cream together:

1/2 cup butter

1/2 cup brown sugar

2 eggs

1 1/4 cup sugar

a dollop, or if you want accuracy, a heaping tablespoon of molasses


Next add the cooled or slightly warm oatmeal mixture into the creamed ingredients.


Then sift together, okay I never sift and sometimes I don't even mix all of the below ingredients together first before adding them to to the creamed ones but I'm suppose to sound professional here so let me say sift together -

1 1/2 cups white flour or you can use wheat if you prefer (I need to grind wheat so I didn't have any for making the cake this time.)

1 teaspoon soda

1 teaspoon of cinnamon

1 teaspoon of salt



Then add them to the creamed mixture above.

I preheat the oven to 350 Fahrenheit and put the cake batter in a 13 by 8 inch glass cake pan. Oh I suppose you can bake it in a metal one, I don't know why not, I just prefer glass.
Let's say it's to preserve energy since you turn the oven down 25 degree if your baking in glass. Makes me sound all enviromentally green doesn't it?
I bake the cake at 350 and then turn the oven down to 325 when the cake begins to turn brown but isn't done. It's not any special scientific cooking thing that I'm doing I just habitually forget that the oven is suppose to be on 325 and not 350 for I've learned that the higher temperature makes the cake too dark before the interior is done and dries it out a bit. Try baking at 325 Fahrenheit from the beginning and tell me how it goes. I'm sure it's much easier and works great.
I'd like to tell you how long to bake the cake but I don't know. The original recipe is missing and this one doesn't look much like it anyway. So let's say Cook Until Done. Oh, not good enough. How about cook until when you press on the middle of the cake it springs back and feels done - you know not wiggly. Don't make your guesses on the doneness by the cakes color because it will be quite brown in apearance but if you get to black in color you've gone to far.



As it's cooling, put on the stove top a medium saucepan and add to it:

1/2 cup of butter

1 cup white sugar

1 cup goat milk (I use the top layer of the jug. The area where the cream has separated and rests on top.)

Of course I suppose you could just use milk. The original recipe called for evaporated milk but that's not something I keep around.


Next add:

3 egg yolks


As the mixture is gently heating, beat the egg yolks incorporating them.

Keep stirring on occasion as the frosting thickens.

When thick, or 12 minutes if you believe the original recipe. I don't because how do they know how long it takes to cook it on your stove? I sure don't for I've had stoves that went from cool to burnt in 60 seconds. I swear they did. Of course they needed badly replaced but that is exactly my point. So I say heat it until it looks thick and bubbly like in the photograph. At this point turn off the burner and stir in:

1 cup of chopped pecans or if you've only walnuts in the cupboard that will do nicely.

The recipe is rather skimpy on the coconut and I add 7 ounces, which is about 2 cups.
Spread frosting warm frosting on to cake.
Now I'd best be off to shoveling before I give in to having another piece of cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment