Saturday, February 26, 2011

Orange Extract

Yes, I blogged twice today. The photo challenge is the next post down for those of you who may be looking for it.
I'd made lemon extract a while back but not orange. No really good excuse since it takes only a few minutes to whip up. So despite the looks from my husband that said, what are you doing that for right now, I went full steam ahead. Yes, other things needed done worse but sometimes you just have to take a few minutes for yourself.


I knew I had some really good juicy sweet oranges in the fridge and so I used the peeler and took the outside off a couple medium sized oranges, just the orange part since the white is bitter tasting. I chopped it up further and removed the juice from the inside of each orange. Then I poured a cup of Vodka over the juice and rind in a pint jar.

In five days it will be ready to strain, the peel having turned white, and the extract can be used but I've found if you leave your extracts quite a bit longer the heavy alchohol smell will disipate leaving a much more pleasant product. The extract is suppose to then be put into a dark bottle but mine just gets put into the back of a dark cupboard to keep it from being exposed to light.


Interesting that the orange and lemon are ready for use within a week but the vanilla takes six weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment