Thursday, December 15, 2011

Butternut or Delicata?

I grew Delicata squash last summer. It's the squash on the left of the Butternut squash. I wasn't impressed with it.

Some, on the Internet, said Delicata tasted like sweet potatoes, so I tried them since sweet potatoes are pretty hard to grow here and I love them. Having tried Delicata, I definitely wouldn't describe them in that manner. They were pretty bland in flavor but then again remember that I don't like spaghetti squash for its texture and lack of flavor so the fact that I wasn't thrilled with the taste, wasn't a surprise. The part about tasting like sweet potatoes was a mystery since my taste buds didn't pick up anything like that.

 
Another disappointment was the size. To give you an idea I cooked Delicata's  next to a Butternut squash that came in my Bountiful Basket (food cooperative group). Yeah, pretty puny and the yield of squash per plant was not impressive either. Maybe it just didn't like our area. 
 
The few squash that I received didn't have a large amount of pulp either. The insides were pretty hollow and full of seeds. One squash was not much food for the two of us. Just one meals worth. Then again I like a good sized helping, squash being one of my favorite things.
The amount of pulp looked pretty bad especially in comparison to the Butternut squash, The deeper color of the Butternut also held a richer more robust flavor. 

Butternut squash is not a variety I've grown. I'd have to say that I still prefer the buttercup squash for taste. The Hubbard coming in second so it isn't likely I'll grow any Butternut.

That's what this experimenting is all about, finding the best crops for our area and those with the most pleasing flavor for our family.   

Yet, there are those you like Delicata squash. Just hit the Internet to find them. So, if you are one of those people who wants a small serving of a mild tasting squash, Delicata just might be for you. I'm sticking to Hubbard and Buttercup. Unless of course you have a suggestion for a short season winter squash with loads of flavor and high yielding. Then I just might give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment