Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Salad in a Jar

You really should try this, salad in a jar. The lettuce stays fresh days longer. In fact, to test it I took a bag of lettuce that a few of the leaves were wilting in and choice the better leaves, put them in a quart canning jar and back into the refrigerator it went. Amazingly, two weeks later the lettuce still looked good.  
Not that the nutrients were still there but since we live in a very rural area, this kind of thing is really handy. Some roughage such as this is better than none.

What I've started to do is put salad and the fixings into quart and pint jars. That way we have just enough for a meal or a side-dish. The other lettuce being undisturbed. This also helps us to eat more salad since it is ready to go into hubbies lunch box or into a bowl for me.

Cherry or grape tomatoes can be added to this treat. I'm not so sure how well sliced tomatoes would do. They don't keep so well normally. I guess I'll have to give them a try by placing some in a 1/2 pint jar and watch to see what happens. So if you haven't tried this trick yet, go for it. I think you'll be pleased. 

No comments:

Post a Comment