Monday, May 28, 2012

Goat Butter Cookies

Split Second cookies are one of the fast recipes I reach for when time is of essence or I'm craving butter. The craving isn't so bad that you will catch me eating a stick of butter like a lollipop as our middle daughter was caught doing more than once when she was three. You might see me eating a little popcorn with my butter or these cookies. I

I figured that switching goat butter for the store cow butter, I usually use, would be a great test for the switch. I had to add a bit more flour and I'm not sure if that was because the butter itself had more moisture or I didn't get enough of the water out when I was making butter. As for the flavor, it was indeed different, quite different, but very good.

The grand kids went nuts over the goat butter cookies and the more jam on the cookies the better they said. I admit that the home-made jam does take this cookie over the edge.

Though I am sometimes limited to frozen berries to make my jam from, fresh does make a BIG difference. I mixed up one batch of  strawberries  last week and today, I made blackberry jam.

Give this recipe a try whether you are using cow butter or goat. It is yummy either way.


2/3 cup sugar
3/4 cup butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 egg
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup jelly or jam

Heat oven to 350 F. In a large bowl, beat sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and egg; beat well. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. Stir in flour and baking powder; blend well. On lightly floured surface, divide dough into 4 equal parts. Shape each into a roll 12 x 3/4 inches; place on ungreased cookie sheets. Using handle of wooden spoon or finger make a impression lengthwise down center of each roll about 1/2 inch  wide and 1/4 inch deep. Fill each with 2 tablespoons of the jelly. Bake at 350 F for 15 to 20 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool slightly; cut diagonally into bars. Cool in wire racks 4 dozen bars.

I believe this recipe came from a Pillsbury booklet I bought years ago in the grocery store. Give it a try and let me know how you like it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment