Friday, July 6, 2012

Lettuce Seed

 "Mary, Mary quite contrary how does your garden grow?" This morning it is nursery rhymes and yesterday I was singing the oldies. "Kiss me once and kiss me twice and kiss me once again."  "Bye bye black bird." Everything I heard and saw reminded me of a line in a song and it would burst forth.

Not that that was a pretty sight seeing as my voice is suffering from thyroid issues and sounds like a twelve year old boy with croaking and squeaks but that didn't stop me. I'm hardly known for being shy.

Was I especially happy as I drove my parents to their doctors appointments 4 1/2 hours away. I don't think so but I am exhausted and coupled with a huge amount of stress, the silliness couldn't help but burst forth.

So as I sit here in my motel room, exhaustion my constant companion as I sort out my parent's mess, beware you, never know what may spring forth upon this page.


And though my garden does not has silver bells and cockle shell nor pretty maids all in a row, I do have some Deer Tongue lettuce that has gone to seed in my lone flower bed.  They seem to fit right in as the flower on this vegetable is quite lovely.

I tucked some seeds in there last year and I never got around to cutting this tiny patch. Voila one plant came up again this year and almost immediately started going to seed. Was it the smoke filled skies or the early heat? I'm betting on the heat but I'm not complaining as this is a great excuse for an experiment. 
 The instructions say the seeds will not mature at the same time so to collect them all you have to place a paper bag over the head and shake, leaving the rest to mature and shake again. Sounds like the buckwheat I did last year. The buckwheat I still need to finish processing to cook with. So much to do, so little time.

The other option is to wait until half the seeds are ready and pluck the whole plant, letting it dry. I'm opting for the paper bag method.

I've another kind of lettuce in the garden I'm going to see if it will go to seed also and my spinach too.  I only say that because though my spinach has always been cooperative, it doesn't mean it will continue to be. Our weather has been, let's say unusual and I'm not sure what's around the corner.  In the past I have often let part of my spinach go to seed and reseed itself for the spring.

I love this no brainer approach to planting as I don't have to guess how early to plunk seeds into the ground. We've had some pretty mind winters though and that sounds like it will change. Back to the doozies we use to have when the kids were little is the forecast.  I'm not sure how well this method will work after an especially frigid winter. I think I'll just see. " Baby it's cold outside....." Okay, maybe yesterday's song fest hasn't left my system yet.

Oh dear, this could be a long day for my poor folks. There daughter is insanely tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment