Thursday, April 21, 2011

What Do I Do?

The plants in the house are doing great. I've a bunch to transplant into larger pots and some pots to get ready for seeds. Oh how do you get it all done? There is just too much on ones plate in the springtime. My basil here on the left is looking good. It makes me hungry to make some pesto. This time of year I crave noodle dishes and salad.
 This is the results of my transplanting a couple smaller pots into this larger terracotta one. That was a few weeks ago. The empty spaces were bothering me so I threw in a few more basil seeds and hopefully soon, I'll have a flourishing crop of basil at three different stages of growth so it will always be ready to snip a bit from to go into the cooking pot. A tip, when cooking with fresh basil remember to put it in shortly before serving. If sooner it turns brown and flavor is lost. Also keep in mind that fresh basil and dried basil lend a different flavor to a dish. I've seen some recipes call for a combination of the two.
The cilantro is doing very well that I transplanted. Yes, the experts say to start if from seed and don't disturb it but I must not have caused too much of a ruckus with the roots because it took off and is in  bad need of a snip with the scissors. I've heard of making pesto with cilantro and I want to give it a try. I think it would be delicious with dried mustard in a pennini sandwich. Yum!! 





The Siberian tomato plants are getting large and before long I'm going to have to transplant them into a taller pot so that I can stimulate more roots by covering up more of the stem.
Outside today is lovely, in the sixties Fahrenheit but tonight more snow is predicted, glug. How are those bare rooted strawberries that came yesterday going to stand a chance? The area they will go I had  already hauled in sawdust from the goat's shed and manure that a friend delivered. Don't you just love it when a friend just gets an old dump truck running and can't wait to haul something. Yup, he just knew I needed some more horse manure. LOL I couldn't say no because I did, I just wasn't quite ready for it a that moment but now I am and here it is so one can't really complain.

So I moved a large amount near the north end of the garden. Just this little area anyway as I've the bulk of the north end still to do. This is the end with the railroad ties stacked up against cow panels and t-posts. We are trying to build up that end so that the garden is level and not sloping north. Eventually, we'd like to tilt the whole thing south as that can move the garden into another growing zone. This is because the tilt causes the sun's rays to penetrate more fully. I then hauled over those square plastic window covers from when the fire department building was constructed last year. I figure the plastic will help to warm the earth, just as rototilling loosens the soil and warms it. The problem is if the temperatures keep dipping down to winter levels at night, not much will grow. Oh spring come on and arrive will yuh? I'm worried, will it kill my bare root plants? I checked the Internet and it says get them into the ground immediately. It also said that they won't take off if not properly planted so don't get in a hurry. You are to create a hole with a volcano shaped mound of dirt in the center. Spread your roots out around the mound so they can reach out and grow. If the roots are crammed in and maybe even tilt up, your plants won't do well.


So cross you fingers because in the ground I guess they are going. That is when I'm not watching the little munchkins. Maybe I should slip out right now and try to plant a few since the youngest is sleeping. Wish me luck and if you've some advice, I'd love it.

I've had strawberries several times before without success. Maybe I planted them wrong. I don't remember but this year I want a strawberry bed and next year lush strawberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment