Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Toe Up

I've posted twice today to make up for yesterdays absence so be sure and check out my post They're a humming.
 Though my days have been beginning early and ending very late -because of a giant work load, I'm taking an hour and a half to two hours off in the middle of the day to relax and rest my weary body. One of the projects I'm working on during this quiet time is this yarn.
 Ever since I got back from my spinning class, I've had a whole different attitude and I want to blend fibers and colors. I had this matted light pink mohair, some deep purply blue Merino wool, and a seafoam green Merino wool I thought would make a great blend. The mohair would give strength and longevity to the yarn for socks and I figured light, medium, and dark would be a good blend of hues.

I'd borrowed a couple books from our oldest daughter when I was in Colorado. One was knitting socks from the toe up. This, I decided was going to be the yarn for my first pair using that technique and I am anxious to start knitting.

Instead of weighing each fiber and using set amounts to blend, I just used a haphazard method. The matted light pink was a problem and sometimes I had to use scissors to snip and other times I could teased most of the tangle out. Yet, despite my efforts I've ended up with a more uneven yarn than I'd of like, for thicker spots resulted from spots that I thought were teased smooth but weren't. Oh well, it won't hurt the socks any. 

The first layer on the cards was the light pink since it needed the most work. I used a light amount since a little mohair goes a long ways as its shiny texture is very noticeable.

 Then I put a little bit heavier layer of the seafoam green.
 With the heaviest thickness layer being the dark purply blue.
I couldn't wait for two full bobbins to ply for I wanted badly to see the result. Yes, I did twist a single back on to itself to get a peek but it wasn't enough to satisfy my curiosity. 

I loved the result and can't wait to see what it looks like knitted up. I hope to begin the socks this weekend. As for today, I'll spin some more if I have time between work and taking the grand kids to swimming lessons and a magic show. What I'd really like to do is rest all day or weed the garden but the contractor is here and he's drilling holes in my basement wall to auger out anchors stabilizing the walls. This means half my basement had to be cleared. Of course it was the basement side with the food storage room. I bet I made forty or more trips up the stairs with food yesterday and I'm not finished. I've still a freezer to unload and move to the next room after he is through in there.  Luckily, the other chest freezer can remain where it is and buckets and buckets of wheat and grain to can be shifted to another room of the basement when he finishes drilling in there.

With a little doeling that needed a horn scur reburned and tatooing done before her trip this morning at 6:20 a.m. to South Dakota my day yesterday was extremely full. 

 I'm still working on the food storage room and so I'd better get to shifting buckets and watering the lawn. High ho, high ho, it's off to work I go.  

We have a HUGE food storage room.

No comments:

Post a Comment