Friday, June 15, 2012

Gardening With Epson Salt

How many of you have gardened with Epson Salt? I haven't until this year. I've been reading about it for the last couple years but you know me, it takes that long before I put ideas to action. There is such a backlog of things to try.


The reminder came when I was in Billings to the doctor with my step-dad and Mom this last Wednesday. We were shopping for medical supplies and I saw some Epson salt for 88 cents. I mentioned the gardening connection to my mom as I added a few boxes to my cart and an older gentlemen, who overheard the conversation, piped up, " I can't believe you know that." He of course doesn't know that my dear friend calls me a walking encyclopedia. LOL I told him I hadn't tried it but had been doing some reading on the subject.

I bought four boxes and now I'm waiting to see the results of my sprinkling it around my plants in the garden.

What's so great about Epson salt. well, read what the following site has to say.

http://www.saltworks.us/gardening-with-epsom-salt.asp

 

Magnesium is beneficial to plants from the beginning of their life, right when the seed begins to develop. It assists with the process of seed germination; infusing the seed with this important mineral and helping to strengthen the plant cell walls, so that the plant can receive essential nutrients. Magnesium also plays a crucial role in photosynthesis by assisting with the creation of chlorophyll, used by plants to convert sunlight into food. In addition, it is a wonderful help in allowing the plant to soak up phosphorus and nitrogen, which serve as vital fertilizer components for the soil. Magnesium is believed to bring more flowers and fruit to your garden, increasing the bounty as well as the beauty of your space.

Sulfate, a mineral form of sulfur found in nature, is an equally important nutrient for plant life. Sulfate is essential to the health and longevity of plants, and aides in the production of chlorophyll. It joins with the soil to make key nutrients more effective for plants, including nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium. Sulfate works in conjunction with Magnesium to create a “vitamin” full of minerals, nourishment and health benefits for your garden


This is only a taste of the article so I highly recommend slipping on over and reading it in its entiretity. I'm not done spreading this wonder supplement yet. I have the fruit trees to do and I'm going to continue giving my tomatotes and peppers a dose throughout the summer. It will be fun to see what difference this makes.

I'm also wanting to use Borax in the garden. Has anyone tried it with beets? I'll tell you all about that experiment I want to try but for now I have got to get some badly needed sleep. Tommorrow is appraisal day. I can hardly wait.  

No comments:

Post a Comment