Monday, December 21, 2009


Yesterday, when I did the story of the Nativity with the children at church five girls wanted to play the part of Mary and so it was at our house when the kids were little. Both our daughters insisted that they wanted the role in our family nativity scene. When they were about two and four years old, in the name of Peace On Earth good will towards men or siblings rather, we allowed two Marys figuring accuracy over the story line wasn't as important as peace in our home.

The picture above is of one of the years when my parents were here for Christmas. Kirk is Joseph, our youngest daughter, Mary, and if you look carefully at the bottom of the picture, that's me the donkey. I'm wearing the donkey ears and tail I made years ago for the part since the girls insisted that Mary rides into Bethlehem. My mother was taking the photo and she always cuts someones head off. But then she did catch the star actors and so I don't mind.

This year we will do the scene with our grand daughters. I wonder if they will both insist on being Mary? Last year, I bought a Nativity for the grand daughters to play with and we acted out the story with the figurines. Our two year old grand daughter at the time loved the part of the Inn Keeper and shouted, "No room!" when I knocked with my fist on the our wood floor in representation of Joseph knocking on the door of each Inn. Then when we came to the part of the Shepherds, she grabbed the donkey and ran to the field with him insisting that each shepherd was to ride to the stable where the baby Jesus lay.

I can't wait until Christmas Eve to see what happens when they play with the Nativity and act out the scene.

Have a Merry Christmas!! I'll probably not be blogging for the rest of the week. This morning our computer is going to the cyber doctor, as I call him, for an update and to find out why when I put a picture on my husband's web-site it stays for a few hours and then drifts off to cyberspace never to be found again. He'll have the computer for a few days and with storms coming in I don't know when we'll be able to pick it up. It is a two hour trip to reach his house.

But I'll be back next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment