Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Sour Cream Waffles

Some can eat and eat and eat and never get fat like our grand kids who are always hungry and eating. Some of us unfortunately, just have to become nervous and stop eating as much and our body panics, " Oh no, she might starve to death. Let's put every pound into fat reserves." Like I would ever have the slightest risk of starving to death. Then on days like today when I'm so nervous I can't eat because my stomach is cramping, then I just look at all the food I'm making for the grand kids and I gain weight. Some of you might think I'm exaggerating but really my scale proves this fact over and over again.

Then just to keep my body on a roller coaster I change to becoming a nervous eater, I gain weight with this stress relief mechanism also. The only way I loose weight is to lower the stress level and then on days I'm hungry and eat a lot. I loose weight and on days I don't eat much, I loose weight.
But the stress level I'm under, I have little control over right now.
My sister says it is our hormone imbalance that is causing the fluky way we are made up. My doctor ordered in a whole new regiment of hormone replacement and we'll see is she's right when I'm in balance. If that's ever possible. But then I'm suppose to be skinny too with having Addison's Disease. But then Two Ton Tessy here has blown that theory all out of the water too. And though today I'm just not wanting to eat much, yesterday, I wanted to cook. I did and since it is something I love to do, I found some stress relief in it. Kind of makes me envy our youngest grand daughter how she deals with stress. She has a fast and easy method. She pulls her shirt way up high...pokes her bellybutton...

and sucks her thumb.

Somehow, I don't think I'd look so adorable doing that. It's tempting but since we're trying to get the two older girls to stop sucking theirs, I'm afraid I'd be labeled a bad example.


From the stomach cramping last few days
I have found a wonderful waffle recipe to add to my list.


Sour Cream Belgian Waffles

Oh yeah, they are good!!! Three recipes of one thing is never enough for me and so I'm still working on finding new ones to add to my cookbook I'm creating. So far I have Black Forest, Gingerbread, and Apple Cinnamon but why stop there? Call me greedy if you want but variety is the spice of life and I have really spicy loving taste buds. So yesterday since Waffles were on for breakfast, I tried something new, Sour Cream Belgian Waffles. Those of you who have been with me before know that I can't leave a recipe alone and true to course I didn't this one.



This recipe put to shame my standard Betty Crocker recipe I used for years when I was raising my kids. I've still a pumpkin waffle in mind to create and then just maybe I'll be satisfied.



Sorry no photos on the subject as it was a really rushed morning getting a reluctant kinder gardener off to school along with her pre-school sister.


Sour Cream Belgian Waffles

2 eggs (separated)

Place the yolks in a bowl with:

2/3 cup sour cream

1/4 cup butter, melted


1 cup goat milk ( you can substitute buttermilk if you are underprivileged and don't have a goat.) But oh how you are missing out because goat's milk makes everything so much richer tasting. As for buttermilk, I want to learn to make cultured buttermilk with goat milk someday and so stay tuned just maybe it will be this winter. That and marmalade are on my list to do when the cold winds blow and the snow piles up. But now were off the subject. So focus Holly, focus.



In a cup whip your 2 egg whites until stiff peaks form.


In another bowl mix 1 cup flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

2/3 teaspoon baking soda


Then mix the dry and wet ingredients together until smooth and fold in the egg whites. If you like a heavy textured waffle, skip the steps where you separate the eggs and whip the egg whites. Just add whole eggs.


Cook as instructed by your waffle maker.


Now I couldn't leave this recipe alone after I'd glanced at Betty Crocker and saw where they'd mentioned substituting orange juice for the milk. I had to try so to intensify the orange flavor I substituted 1/2 cup of orange juice concentrate and 1/2 cup water for the 1 cup of milk.

Plus I add 1 teaspoon of dried orange zest.


The results weren't as good as I anticipated and the judging panel - the kids, my daughter, and I- decided it would be good with orange marmalade on top but not one of our favorite recipes over all. I much prefer orange fudge but then who wouldn't?

No comments:

Post a Comment