Monday, November 22, 2010

Cold Weather Activities

Brrrrrrrrr...........
Everything is covered in frost.
The temperatures are hovering near zero and it is fore casted to go lower. What happened to our balmy fall weather? This is such a stark contrast.
It has put me in the mood for Thanksgiving and Christmas though I don't want to shop. I never want to shop except for groceries because I love to cook.
In the crock pot is some Goody Beans. The small crock pot was for us and the large one for the kindergarten's Thanksgiving feast on Monday. If you haven't had these beans, they are a must to try, just ask all the people yesterday that were raving about them.
So I'll give you the recipe so you too can receives rave reviews. We like them particuliarly with hamburgers. For some reason the Thanksgiving feast was to consist of baked beans. Maybe these weren't baked but close enough.
Sweet and Sour Beans
2 large cans pork and beans ( I use Bush's Original )
2 cans (15 oz) chunk pineapple with juice
2 15 oz cans kidney beans drained
1 pound bacon, cut up but not cooked (sometimes mine is cooked)
1 cup brown sugar
2 large green peppers, cut into chunks
2 large onions
4 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
Heat and let simmer to allow the flavors to meld together.
And while they are doing their thing in the crock pot pull up a chair and get those knitting needles a clicking. I'm almost done with the first double thick mitten and I have the second mitten nearly half done. What I ended up grabbing when I went to Idaho was two different weights of yarn and hopefully the lighter yarn will fit nicely inside the heavier weighted one.
Yes, the quilt I started quite some time ago is working its way to completion. I'm stitching in the ditch as they call it upon panels or strips. I'll tell you more about it later when I'm a bit further along. Since it has taken so long to complete it will end up being for our youngest grand daughter's birthday in January. Each grandchild receives a quilt to cover their grown up beds when they turn two.


Beyond this, I've several more projects in the works and I'm on my seventh batch of buttermilk. It and sour cream are doing their culturing thing as I speak.


I purchase a big container of Vodka last weekend to make a whole new series of extracts, lemon, vanilla, almond, mint etc. So while it snows outside and the temperatures plunge, I'll be where it is warm doing something new that I've always wanted to try and I'll be sure and share my adventures with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment