Monday, November 15, 2010

Corn Bread from Sweet Corn

Finally, I made the corn bread. Things just don't seem to get done in the time table I want but eventually I do get around to it. Boy am I glad I did as it was especially yummy with the potato soup I made for lunch that included potatoes that are beginning to sprout eyes; and the Florida corn that was suppose to be eaten as corn on the cob but wasn't so I cut it off the cob and froze it; and the ham that was in ham and beans a week ago and was suppose to be used in twice baked potatoes but wasn't so I chopped it up and froze it also. Get the idea? Yup, especially with three little ones and a knife show to prepare for my plans kept changing.
Not that that doesn't happen frequently anyway.
But, one plan won't change and that is drying sweet corn next year for corn meal. Okay, Mother Nature could change my plans but let's hope she doesn't because the corn bread was a big hit with Kirk. I'm so excited to try saving my own seed; freezing corn for the long winter months; and drying corn and grinding it for corn meal. With it all from the same type of corn, it means I can accomplish all my corn needs within the boundaries of my garden. The garden that is large in comparison of most others in our county but not large enough to keep corn separated enough to prevent cross pollination of different types.
You may also be able to see from the picture that the corn bread has a less grainy texture. More cake like in fact and that isn't a bad thing. Gritty corn meal isn't my favorite thing. I also think that grinding the corn closer to the time period in which you make the bread has got to be saving vitamins inhancing our health.
Today, I made a half batch of corn bread that makes four large squares. Just right for two meals for Kirk and I. In case you don't have a corn bread recipe you love and you like yours really moist. This is a good one and remember you can half it to accommodate for just two people.
Corn bread
1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup sugar
Put butter in a sauce pan melting it and then add sugar, stirring until sugar dissolves. (I don't always wait until this has been completed before I add -- Okay, I never wait until this is completed before I add -)
1 cup buttermilk
Stir well and then beat in
1/2 teaspoon soda
1 egg
When beaten add the dry ingredients until blended and they are:
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
Place in a greased 8 or 9 inch pan. Heat oven to 350 F. and bake for 30 minutes or until done.
If you want you can always add cooked sausage or chunks of ham to the batter to make a delicious breakfast treat. Plus if you get a hankering, throw in some sweet corn and you've a really corn treat.
Now that experiment is done, I got baking powder to make, extracts to get started on .... yada, yada, yada. Yup, my brain is a humming now ready for the next project.

No comments:

Post a Comment