Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Pineapple Cookies

After all the kids were in bed for the first time -- Yes, our bed was a revolving door last night. I hope Kirk can stay awake to work today. We'll see how I do. --I baked the cookies I'd put together in segments over a period of time in the middle of the day, then stuck the dough in the refrigerator. I never did hear the youngest fuss in the night which makes me suspicious but awoke to, " Grandma!", and looked up to see our middle grand daughter who's only 3 with her 15 month old sister in a near straggle hold. The youngest may be really little for her age but still... The littlest's arms were stretched upward, her head pressed tight just high of the waist of her sister. She was held under the arms but more by the neck than anything. She wasn't saying a peep. Probably couldn't and I suspected that our middle grand daughter had drug her out of bed and was using her as a ploy to come crawl into ours. She'd been put back to bed a couple times already after a snuggle.


Monday was a long tough day with many of the behavioral issues returning. I'm not sure not having the kids over the weekend was really a good break for us after what we had to deal with yesterday. Oh well, I guess I'd better buck up because the road looks pretty bumpy ahead. I've learned first hand that the tongue is as brutal a beast as the fist for it can just as effectively destroy those in its path. We'll just have to get out the soothing balm and go to work.
Maybe that is why I chose the cookies I made. They are something a bit unusual and always have been one of my comfort foods. Yes, I have a food issue, stressed and I crave sweets. So out came the Pineapple Cookie recipe and yes, since they aren't my husband's favorite, I made Snickerdoodles too but forgot to roll them in cinnamon and sugar in my tired state. The 7 loads of laundry did get folded though and the old series on DVD - Hogan's Heroes- lulled me into a relaxed state while I finished the last few loads. Today is change the beds day so it's high hoe, high hoe we've more laundry to go.
But first, I'll give you the recipe just in case your having a tough time too and need some comfort food.
Pineapple Cookies
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup shortening
2 eggs
1 small can of crushed or chunked pineapple (drained)

Mix the above together and add:
3 1/3 cups sifted flour
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon salt
Combine and mix well. Drop by spoonful on a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 until done. Okay until the tops have small touches of golden brown. Don't over bake. These are a very moist cookie. How long should you bake them. Till done of course. I have no idea how long that takes. Maybe a basket full of laundry or even two if your speedy like me and it's towels your doing.

If your cookies look like this you folded too many clothes before checking the oven to see if your batch of cookies were done.


Oh and if you want to make Snickerdoodles they work really well with this recipe of Pineapple cookies. I made them both at the same time because they both call for two eggs, and both ask for 1 cup shortening etc. making the doing of two of them at once a simple no brain stressing tasks. A real plus right now. But I really must go, the munchkins have awoke and I've photos to take for this post. That means a cookie for part of breakfast. Think they'll mind? LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment