Friday, April 2, 2010

Quick Bread the Slow Way

What is quick bread the slow way. It's making it with two assistants of course. The expert egg crackers took turns putting each of the ingredients into the bowls and mixing.
Though they didn't say a word their actions spoke volumes about how hard it was to wait their turn. Someday they will graduate to altering recipes where they will do applicable math adding, subtracting, multiplying, and division of fractions to double or halve recipes. Through cooking there is much we can teach them.

Banana bread is always a hit especially with mini chocolate chips.

Yum!But one of my very favorite breads is Lemon Blueberry
It was originally from Taste of Home but I altered it a bit of course.
1/3 cup butter melted
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
pinch of salt (I dropped the amount of salt)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup milk
2 teaspoons dried lemon peel
(I always keep some on hand so I don't have to have lemons to make this recipe though the original used fresh peel and of course tablespoons instead of teaspoons.)
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries. (I use frozen and always coat them in part of the flour before gently folding them in so it doesn't discolor the dough.

In a mixing bowl, beat butter, sugar, juice, milk, lemon peel, and eggs
Combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
Makes one large loaf

The original recipe calls for a glaze but I only used it once and haven't since. Bake at 30 Fahrenheit and how long well you know me, until done of course.

I hope you have a wonderful Easter weekend. We are sure to with three little ones to dye eggs with and watch tear around the yard as they dash after eggs to put in their baskets.

But for now I'd best get to making the lemon cheesecake. It tastes best when left for three days and the flavors have time to meld. I know because the recipe calls for making it ahead three days and Kirk and I tasted it everyday just to make sure they were telling the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment