Thursday, April 22, 2010

Refrigerator Bran Muffins

After loves on the cat who caroused all night and was ready for a nap,
we had Refrigerator Bran Muffins
and fruit smoothies with black berries, strawberries, and a banana.
The Refrigerator Bran Muffins were such a big hit I thought I'd pass on the recipe. Our middle grand daughter ate four today, and the oldest three, while the youngest downed two.
I wasn't quite as fond of them as when I was a kid but they rank high because of convenience and the kids loved them. It's pretty nice when you can mix up the batch and place it in the refrigerator. Back in my mom's day they said 6 weeks it would last but I don't keep mine over 5 days. Something about having raw eggs in the dough makes me nervous and when would you keep milk for 6 weeks? I have to wonder about the safety of such instructions. The recipe is great if you have kids who wake up with their tummies rumbling or if you've company coming for the weekend and don't want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen.


So here's the recipe
2 cups milk (I use goat milk but the original recipe calls for buttermilk)
1/2 cup oil
2 eggs
3 cups bran flake cereal with or without raisins
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped nuts
Heat oven to 400 degree Fahrenheit. In large bowl, combine the milk, oil, and eggs: beat well. In another bowl add all the dry ingredients, flour, sugar, soda, salt, and nuts. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix just until equally distributed but don't over beat. Fill muffin tins and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown. Wow I actually have a time limit on baking. Wonder if it is accurate. The recipe even says it is for 36 muffins. I made 10 and I don't think there is anyway I'm getting 36 but maybe I'm just too generous.



No comments:

Post a Comment