Thursday, May 13, 2010

Apple Cinnamon Waffles

I began looking for a new waffle recipe this morning. It wasn't because I wasn't happy with the ones I have since no one has argued that gingerbread waffles, chocolate waffles, or waffles with blueberries in them aren't wonderful in their own way. It is just that nagging what else can I try that sent me Internet shopping. Of course then I had to to tweak one I wanted to try since simply copying it for you on this blog would be illegal without permission of its owner besides I think I improved on it.

So if you have munchkins who rise and shine wanting to know where breakfast is the minute thier feet hit the floor you might want to try these.


Even if they take longer than it does for the middle child to change out of her pajamas and into two different ballerina costumes


and still be yawning before the dough is even mixed


or they might just be trying to wake up but these waffles are sure to put a smile on their faces when they smell warm cinnamon and apples.


You might even be at the stage of your life where you can just leave the pizza cutter in the drawer, sit back, relax, and enjoy a quiet breakfast. That was once me but now it is always a hurried affair eaten standing up in between serving the little people. Which ever way you dine, you won't want to miss trying these waffles.


First of all I placed

1/2 cup of butter in the microwave to melt and then set it aside while I

mixed together in a large bowl:

1 large grated apple

1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon

2 teaspoons of vanilla

1 egg

2 egg yolks

but save the 2 egg whites for they go into a cup

The only reason 3 didn't go in there is...

they wouldn't fit when whipped which takes under a minute with this method. The whipped egg whites is what gives the waffes that light fluffy texture.
After mixing the bowl with the eggs and egg yolks, apples, and cinnamon, I began to stir it into the large bowl which had

2 cups white flour

1 Tablespoon sugar
I increased this amount mainly because I had to have a Tablespoon out for the Baking Powder.

1 Tablespoon Baking Powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

I had barely begun mixing when I knew something was missing. Sure enough, it was

1 cup of milk

which I should have added with the liquids bowl. Definitely better late than never though.

Upon mixing all this together, the dough resembled hot oatmeal mush which since


I don't like cooked oatmeal but prefer cooked cracked oats, my stomach did a - I don't think so - when I thought of eating it but I persevered and folded in the egg whites.


Okay, well, that doesn't look any better but

when cooked, slathered in butter, and maple syrup; the creation smelled and tasted wonderful. Didn't look too bad either.
Yup, the munchkins declared it a hit.
(Oh do I love my waffle maker, it makes nice thick waffles. You may not make as many waffles as a conventional waffle maker but you don't eat as many either.)



Now I am about to leave this blog world and go make them again since all the munchkins are asleep and I left the waffle maker out. This batch is to freeze. Oh how I do love my made ahead meals. I can add bacon I cooked in the oven, then froze (another make ahead deal) and scrambled eggs the next time we have them. Yum, Yum!



I do want to make a couple changes this time around. Though I dropped the amount of vanilla from the original recipe I would drop it even further to

1 teaspoon vanilla

for it over powered the apples a bit.

Secondly, I would add a touch of cloves to play up the apples even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment