Monday, May 10, 2010

A Little Bit of This and That

As a gift to myself on Mother's Day, I kicked the chicks out of their basement home. It was a beautiful day and I don't care if it is spitting snow and raining today they and I had had quite enough of cozy spaces. Okay, I've had quite enough of cleaning up after them in the basement cages. I did put a heat lamp inside their shelter and placed the food and water inside today so they don't have to go outside. They can't go outside since I closed the door on their indoor facilities. I placed the cage right under the kitchen window so I can watch them. Yes, it will destroy the lawn but a backhoe is going to do a far more destructive job when it digs up along the back of the house this summer so a little early demolition job won't hurt.
This handy dandy small chick holder is great because it is portable. Okay, if your a hee man it's portable. The one before this was made of wood and I could pull it around but if I want something built it has to be metal not wood my husband tells me. The wood one we modeled this one after was a used model that originally held signets for Mute swans. This metal model was made mostly from scraps including the tin which means it isn't perfectly water proof but I'll work on that one of these days.
Oh and by the way, those rolls I thought I was so smart putting into muffin tins to raise and then freeze, well, don't. They weren't real easy to get back out again. My cinnamon rolls I made up until the bake stage I did on a cookie sheet. Today, I made Manincotti out of the make-a-head cookbook. I know that's not how you spell it but it's phonetic isn't it? This coming weekend will be the deciding moment when I bake the make-a-head food. The kids are going to their father's for the weekend and our son and oldest daughter are coming for the weekend. A grown ups affair with steak on the grill etc. Things kids don't appreciate. Maybe I can find some zuchini at the store to grill and some corn also. YUM, YUM!!! Now I need to get the cheesecake that you freeze made so that we can celebrate our son's birthday. My baby is turning 26.
We also had a ballet recital this past weekend. The kids were adorable. What is most exciting is no more 2 1/2 hours trips for who's ever turn it is to drive our middle daughter to practice once a week so she can finish her class in her old home town.
I hope you all had a wonderful Mother's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment