Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Caramel Popcorn

Oooy Gooy, carmel popcorn is one of my weaknesses. Okay, anything popcorny. Chocolate, cheese, cinnamon, you about name it, if it is smothering popcorn I'm a goner. I won't be able to resist. This recipe of my sister's has been around for a long time and as the creamy gooy texture messed up my fingers and left them finger licking good but sticky, I thought about the next time I made this recipe maybe I should raise the temperature on the mixture and make it more of a carmalized treat, similiar to the ones you buy in a box. I have a carmel popcorn recipe that you bake in the oven but the full body taste doesn't match in any way shape or form this rich dessert. The change would make it store longer and be more transportable as a snack for a trip or campout.
I had more lovely pictures taken of the steps to making this yummy dessert but alas, the card wasn't in the camera and it wasn't like I could backtrack when I discovered it missing. Many things aren't getting done quite as well as they use to be. Sorry, I am doing my best and though my oldest daughter has told me that my spelling is a trocious and the blogs rather roughly written, I'm just feeling good about the fact that I've been able to keep them coming.
The huge interuption or rather change in course has left me with a flood of changing emotions. Yet I choose to follow this saying, "Do you see difficulties in every opportunity or opportunities in every difficulty." The choice to see opportunities is so much brighter. Because a large share of our time is now not our own we have the chance to have a large empacked on our three precious grand daughter's lives in a much grander scale. Besides, I wouldn't have missed some of the precious moments for nothing. For instance, Monday I overheard the oldest grand daughter ask her grandpa if he wouldn't play horses with her. He later told me he was thinking this would be a manly event but still hesitant he asked, "What are we going to do."
"Get them ready for the ballet." she said of course seeping through the words. What a trooper for sure enough he helped her dressed Blue Biscuit for the ballet before going off to grind on some knives.
So even though things didn't turn out quite like I had planned here is the recipe for my sister's ooy gooy, caramel popcorn.
Place in a saucepan and put over medium heat.
1/2 cup of butter
2 cups of brown sugar
1 cup of Dark corn syrup
1/2 teasponn salt
Cook to the soft ball stage and remove the saucepan from the burner.
You can use a thermometer or just pour a cup of cold water and into it dribble about a tablespoon of the boiling concoction. If when you move it around with your fingers it stays together and forms a soft ball, it is at the soft ball stage. If it mixes with the water to form a cloudy mess then keep cooking. Hesitant to try it this way? Then for the first time use a thermometer and when it reads the soft ball stage put some of caramel into the cold water test and feel how the candy reacts when moved with your fingers.Last after the saucepan has been moved off the hot burner then add a 16 ounce can of condensed milk to the bubbling mixture. I've got a home made recipe for condensed milk somewhere but since I so seldom make this recipe it isn't so expensive to just buy a can. I don't make anything else with it.
So for your next movie night whip up a batch but keep a wet wash cloth handy for those sticky fingers.

No comments:

Post a Comment