Friday, May 14, 2010

A Wonderful Surprise

It's Today and Claire, bless her, was right. Don't you just love blog friends? We peeked inside and yup, the chicks were beginning to hatch.
**************
Aren't they cute? These are the first three to arrive. Seven more are in different stages of hatching.

Even when they are all wet and rather yucky, they are cute.
How can you not love a little face like that.
We shall see how many hatch this time. I'm just thrilled that any are arriving at all.

As for the last batch, they are getting big.
A few are really friendly and don't mind being handled as long as food is involved.
************************************
As for those Apple Cinnamon Waffles
I did indeed make them again only this time I put everything in one bowl except the whipped egg whites in the cup and the flour. I mixed all the ingredients except those 2 and then added the flour followed by folding in the egg whites. Couldn't tell any difference doing it that way. Didn't think I would but then the first method lent itself to better photography.
I did change the recipe like I said I would and yup, it is much better. The original recipe called for 1 tablespoon of vanilla. In the last experiment I dropped that to 2 teaspoons and this last time down to 1 teaspoon along with adding a 1/4 teaspoon of cloves.
Oh yeah, it brought out the apple flavor. Next time, I think I'll try using brown sugar instead of white. It probably won't make much difference since the amount is so minute but when I made an apple pie last night, I used brown sugar instead of white and loved the caramel flavor it added.
Your probably wondering if I ever leave a recipe alone. Actually I do but not until I think I can't improve on it any more.
Stayed tuned because we had a beautiful day today after the 6 or 7 inches of snow melted and I've some great baby animal shots. I'll try to get those up over the weekend. They are ready to download but I need to grab my purse and head over to my father's house to pick up our first load of wheat screening. Bye for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment