Monday, June 7, 2010

To Create, an Inherent Desire

When life's dark clouds block the sunlight, I'm reminded of a talk by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf.He speaks about two principles that help in finding peace, hope, and joy, - even during times of trial and distress.

The talk was intended for all those who have feelings of inadequacy, who are discouraged, or weary, - in short to all of us. He speaks of the greatest kind of happiness possible. He speaks of God's happiness. Even if you are not a religious person he speaks to you for his words are about a innate part of the human soul and two basic principles we all share. "Creating and being compassionate are two objectives that contribute to our Heavenly Father's perfect happiness. Creating and being compassionate are two activities that we as His spirit children can and should emulate.



The desire to create is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul."
"No matter our talents, education, backgrounds, or abilities, we each have an inherent wish to create something that did not exist before."
"Everyone can create. You don't need money, position, or influence in order to create something of substance or beauty. Creation brings deep satisfaction and fulfillment. We develop ourselves and others when we take unorganized matter into our hands and mold it into something of beauty- and I am not talking about the process of cleaning the rooms of your teenage children. "


"You might say "I'm not the creative type. When I sing, I'm always half a tone above or below the note. I cannot draw a line without a ruler. And the only practical use for my homemade bread is as a paperweight or as a doorstop. You may not think you have talents, but that is a false assumption, for we all have talents and gifts, every one of us. The bounds of creativity extend far beyond that of a canvas or a sheet of paper and do not require a brush, a pen, or the keys of a piano."

"Creation means bringing into existence something that did not exist before - colorful gardens, harmonious homes, family memories, flowing laughter."
{Our oldest grand daughters portrait of her mother.}
"What you create does not have to be perfect."
"Don't let fear of failure discourage you. Don't let the voice of critic paralyze you - whether that voice comes from the outside or the inside. If you still feel incapable of creating, start small, try to see how many smiles you can create, write a letter of appreciation, learn a new skill, identify a space and beautify it."
{Our oldest grand daughters pictures drawn today when dark clouds blocked her sunshine. This simple act of creation drew them aside to let the sun shine once more. }
{Our middle grand daughter has been feeling especially troubled of late with the many changes but smiles erased the tears when she began to draw. That sunshine spread and soon we were smiling too. Note this sketch is all about the hair. Yup, that's our girl.}
{What's the hubby doing to brighten his days? He's learning to engrave. Shortly he will leave to attend a school in Kansas.}

Though the talk goes on to speak of compassion, I wanted to share just this little message for I too can not draw. My ability is not as advanced as our oldest grand daughters and the kids at church laugh with me when I illustrate on the chalk board. If I've learned something it is that you don't have to be especially good at it to enjoy doing it.
Most talents I've gained have been through hard work. When I first sat down to spin I had a horrible mess. My husband spent a month teaching me the basics though he'd never spun before either. Grrr... most things come far more easily to him than to me. The Lord gave me something instead, stubbornness that would put a mule to shame. He knew I'd need it to unlock talents.
Look here, I'm writing a blog. It took over thirty years and countless hours to teach myself with a little help from others to write simple sentences one after another. I no longer have to rewrite each line four times, just twice. My writing is far from perfect but at least now I can express myself with words. I have a facination with them but they aren't my first language - pictures are. That's why because I can not draw worth a hoot, I'm drawn to the camera. One of my favorite things is to capture the beauty of God's creative hand. It's what I do when I'm looking for beauty in the ugliness that comes our way.
So create, take unorganized matter and make a thing of beauty, it's an integral part of who you are.
And while your creating -- share for it brings happiness into other's lives just as our grand daughter's sketches brighten our days.

No comments:

Post a Comment