Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Special K Bars My Way

Yup, there rather skimpy on the chocolate this time but my Fibromyalgia is whipping my butt, literally. My lower back and behind are hurting the most but other areas are competing as well as those of you with this achy disorder know. My Fibromyalgia stays pretty calm and I'd say was in remission most of the year but Christmas time when stress is high and the temperature really cold and now when it is hot I'm in full blown achies.





That means a craving for sweets and not so productive days when most of what I get done is in the evening when I've had my adrenal med quota for the day. Last night I canned beets, baked quick bread, wheat bread, and two kinds of cookies. Don't think I was going a house a fire because it took all day to get everything ready and many of the doughs were sitting in the fridge waiting for the cool of evening. Now if only I'd get the pie dough that has been sitting in my refrigerator for four days done. I'm pushing for tonight.





But what I wanted to tell you about is Special K Bars which is a no-bake bar that given my little twist with the recipe ends up being a real treat. One my family raves about and asks for when they come home in the summer time. And lets face it, if you have a tiny air conditioner that is in only one room of the house, baking is done late at night or not at all.
Special K-Bars
1 cup sugar
1 cup corn syrup
Place in saucepan on stove and cook until the sugar dissolves.
Turn off stove and add
1 cup peanut butter
1 to 1 1/4 cup butterscotch chips
Stir until melted and then add
6 cups of corn flakes
Spread into a buttered cake pan (not the big one)
Sprinkle chocolate chips over the top and spread chips across the top of the bars when melted.



So for those of you who already make this treat, try this change in the recipe and let me know what you think. The rest of you, you really need to try it. It's like having a candy bar, home-made.

No comments:

Post a Comment